GFCI Receptacle Tripping Problems

I powerwashed my house yesterday and now my gfci receptacle keeps tripping off every time I turn my lights on in our bathroom. Any thoughts on the problem causing this and how to correct it in a safe manner? When I hit reset the bathroom light will stay on for a minute or two at most before the GFCI receptable gets tripped and shuts it down.

Reply to
njl

Hi, My guess. Your bathroom receptacles are sharing GFCI with outside receptavles?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Yes, I believe my bathroom receptacles share gfci with ones in the garage. Any thoughts? Thanks for trying to help me.

Reply to
njl

Dry out whatever outdoor outlets you soaked.

Reply to
CJT

He might want to run out and buy a "multi-pac" of GFCIs and put a separate GFCI on each outlet rather than having the first of a string do the job. That way even if he gets moisture problems only one outlet will be affected.

Reply to
John Gilmer

As others have said, you got water in the outside outlets which seem to be on the same GFCI circuit. I would replace the outside outlets and caulk with silicone around them as well.

Reply to
RBM

At least limit a GFCI to controlling a single room. It makes troubleshooting easier.

One exception I've seen is an indoor GFCI that controls an outdoor outlet on the other side of a wall. It makes it easy to control holiday lights from inside.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd