GFCI question

I'm putting a GFCI in a bathroom. Ideally I would use the load terminals and protect the other outlets downstream too. Unfortunately down line from the GFCI is a refrigerator. I don't want the fridge on a GFCI circuit because they occaisionally phantom trip and I don't want a bunch of spoiled food. The GFCI has 4 terminals for Line, 2 neutral and 2 hot and 4 terminals for load 2 neutral and 2 hot. Is there any reason including the NEC that the load wires cannot just be wired to the extra line terminals to bypass the GFCI and allow power to the fridge even if the GFCI trips? Yes I understand none of the outlets after the GFCI will be protected as they would be if they were wired to "load", and I will take care of that when I add GFCI to the kitchenette where the fridge is in whatever way will work best depending on exactly where, electrically speaking, in the daisy chain the fridge outlet is. The GFCI is one of the idiot proof ones that comes tripped and supposedly won't reset until it's correctly wired. Testing it out it works fine wired this way as far as the test and reset buttons on it go. Is there any practical reason, including the NEC, not to do it this way? I appreciate good responses but please don't answer if you don't know anything about wiring or are wondering what NEC, load or line means.

Thanks.

Reply to
DB

No, nothing wrong with that. Just make sure the terminals are tight on the wires. My preference is to splice the wires together with pigtails to the outlet

Reply to
RBM

As RBM states what you are suggesting will work. However, per current code a bathroom circuit shouldn't be supplying anything outside a bathroom.

Reply to
Eric9822

The current code wouldn't apply to a preexisting condition. Essentially he's just changing the receptacle for a GFCI type which is fine

Reply to
RBM

I understand that. I pointed it out to the OP in case the existing installation was recently created.

Reply to
Eric9822

It's existing wiring from the 70's or so. It's all Romex in good shape hooked to a 200 amp panel. I'm just replacing an outlet I haven't rewired or added branches to the circuit. It was wired as is when the place was built.

Reply to
DB

No was wired when the place was built deacdes ago. I wouldn't have wired it like it is and didn't even know the fridge outlet was on it until after the GFCI was wired the traditional way and test tripping it cut off the compressor.

Reply to
DB