GFCI Plug Standards

We live in an old home and I'm planning to add a couple of new wall outlets in our kitchen between the counter and the cabinets. What is the recommendation for usage/non-usage of GFCI plugs in this part of the house? I suppose the codes may vary by state, but I'm just looking for a general rule of thumb. My in-laws home was built around 1970 and none of the outlets between their counter and cabinets are GFCI plugs.

Thanks,

Ryan

Reply to
herlihyboy

be G

A general rule of thumb is any outlet within about 6 feet of a sink or water source should be GFCI. Local codes may vary.

Reply to
FDR

All outlets that serve kitchen counter tops must be GFCI protected under the latest US NEC rules. You are not required to retrofit but it doesn't cost that much so protect them all with GFCIs. New and replacement receptacles must be GFCI protected.

Reply to
Thomas D. Horne, FF EMT

All kitchen counter outlets should be GFCI protected and kitchen shold have seperate circuit for fridge, and dishwasher and at least 2 20 amp counter circuits.

thats the latest code far as I know and it makes sense, kitchen appliances are power piggies...

Reply to
hallerb

My house was built in 1979, in Maryland, and all the outlets are run off of a GFI circuit breaker in the basement. Have you checked for that?

BTW, 1970 is not an old home.

mm

buffalobill

Hah. True. My in-laws house was built in 1970. My house was built around 1900. I think that qualifies as old.

Ryan

Reply to
herlihyboy