GFCI outlets vs. GFCI breakers?

We are about to move into a house that has regular (non-GFCI) outlets in kitchen, bathrooms, garage and on the patio.

Is it better to replace the outlets by GFCI ones or to replace the breakers by GFCI ones (assuming that GFCI ones are available for that particular panel -- brand unknown so far)?

-=- Alan

Reply to
Alan Beagley

GFCI breakers tend to be pretty expensive. If you can figure out which outlet is the first one on each chain, just put a GFCI outlet there and it will protect all of the downstream outlets.

Reply to
Brad

Also they are supposed to be tested monthly. They are electronic and can fail. I would bet almost no one tests the ones in the panel. Use the GFCI outlets, but try to put them where you will see them often -- then you will remember to test them at least once in a while. even if that means installing extras, they are only about 8 bucks each.

Be sure that you use 20 amp GFCIs on 20 amp circuits, such as the kitchen.

Do not put refrigerators, freezers, etc on GFCIs -- they can nuisance trip.

Reply to
Paul A

Unless you just can't live with the looks of a GFCI outlet, avoid the breakers. They are a real pain to reset or troubleshoot. Not to mention, more expensive.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Humbug. While the outlets are cheaper than the breakers, it depends on how the house is wired as to what would be best. I have just one protected breaker which serves all of the outlets required to have such protection in my house. If you have several circuits that need protection, then a protected outlet (first in line) would likely be cheapest.

My protected breaker has tripped several times. There has been no trouble shoot>

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Everyone's entitled to an opinion; however odd.

Reply to
Wade Lippman

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You have one breaker for your kitchen, all of your bathrooms and your outside outlets?

Reply to
Brad

Methinks for kitchens etc., a 15 amp GFI with a 20 amp feed through is acceptable rather than 20 amp GFI's.

Stan

{Delete nospam for email}

Reply to
ssody

Yeah. Seems kind of skimpy doesn't it? Actually the circuit just protects 3 outlets, one in each bathroom and one outside plus two outside lights. Kitchen plugs aren't protected.

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

According to Brad :

He said that the breaker was 27 years old, so, it's not controlling any kitchen outlets [US code] ;-)

These days, it's not possible to run all of the protection-required outlets off one breaker. US kitchen rules imply 2 seperate breakers as a bare _minimum_ just for counters.

Canadian rules are worse in this regard. If it required GFI on kitchen counter outlets, this means a minimum of two two-pole GFI breakers.

Reply to
Chris Lewis