GFCI Outlet / LED tripped indicator.

I'm good with wood and good with plumbing. Electricity scares me to death! So I have this GFCI Outlet in the kitchen with a red LED light that normally lights up when the outlet trips. (It only trips when I test it from time to time.) Now, the LED light had decided that it will stay on permanently. I just assumed I should have it replaced, but it still seems to work just fine (shutting off then testing and then reseting just fine). As long as it still tests okay, am I in good shape, or is the LED light indicating a problem?

Thanks for any info!

Troy

Reply to
Troy

For a cheap easily replaced GFCI, which is a critical safety device, I don't see why you would not just replace it. If it still trips when presented with a test fault via the test button, it would appear to be OK. On the other hand, clearly part of the GFCI circuitry is on the fritz, so how lucky do you feel today?

Reply to
trader4

Do I feel lucky?.... Sounds like a bad disaster movie... and those never end good! I bought a tester from Home Depot today and it DOES confirm that is not functioning properly. I may not be hooked up properly, but if I'm going to undo the wires, I may as well put a new one in.... I'm sure the new one will have instructions to insure I reconnect the wires properly. Thanks for your post!

Reply to
Troy