GFCI centered in a double wide box, is this possible?

I only see this for exposed wiring. I want to put it in the wall like regular not exposed wiring. Presumably I would need some sort of adapter and the appropriate walplate. Am I missing something or is this just not done? I really don't want to try to cram a GFCi into a regular sized box.

Reply to
scott21230

Use a single width box of an appropriate depth and it will fit just fine. Boxes are not all the same depth.

Pete C.

Reply to
Pete C.

I'm assuming that what you have, is a 4 inch square box (1900) and the GFCI is mounted to the cover which has two screws attaching it to the box. You can get 1900 boxes with a side bracket to attach to the side of a stud, flush with the front of the stud, you then attach a single gang to 1900 reducing cover for 1/2 inch thickness sheetrock or whatever thickness you need, then the GFCI screws to that adapter, and a standard flush cover goes on top

Reply to
RBM

You don't really need a double size opening. The hookup you are probably talking about is a 4 inch square box.

If you are putting a box in an existing wall you need to just get a deep single gang cut in box.

If it is going to be put in the wall before the sheet rock you can get a single gang deep switch box.

Any setup you pick will have the same size opening for one device.

Reply to
Terry

OK, I think I understand what you are saying... Go deep instead of wide.

It's for an existing wall, so I'd need a deep old work box. I don't see them in the stores, but I'll look at Grainger and other better places instead of HD and Lowes if that's what you are suggesting.

Reply to
scott21230

Am I missing something here? The above description soulds like the setup for exposed wiring unless there is something available for regular non exposed wiring to center a gfi, just like there is for exposed wiring. What I have are some single gang old work boxes that are gangable to make into a double wide configuration. I believe that they are the same as this:

scott21230

RBM assumed you were describing a 4" square box as:

(this one has the side mounting bracket he described) with a raised cover as:
seemed to fit your description. He suggested a single gang mudring for a concealed 4" square box as:
4" square box gives you a lot of volume.

You should be able to find a 3 1/2" deep switch box.

If you ganged 2 switchboxes you could put the GFCI on one side and get a plate that has the GFCI opening on one side, blank on the other. (You can't center the GFCI).

-- bud--

Reply to
Bud--

"RBM assumed you were describing a 4" square box as:

(this one has the side mounting bracket he described) with a raised cover as:
which seemed to fit your description. He suggested a single gang mudring for a concealed 4" square box as:
A 4" square box gives you a lot of volume. "

That's what I have in my basement, where I use surface mount wiring components. That would look terrible inside my bathroom wall. I was asking fi there is a way to center it and have it completey inside the wall.

Reply to
scott21230

Go to an electrical supply store - the suppliers of hour local electrical contractors. They have or can get anything and it won't cost you the shipping that you incur with online shopping.

Reply to
C & E

Square boxes and "plaster rings" are a common standard method of installing both exposed surface mount and concealed wiring when conduit is used. When installed inside the walls only the outer face of the plaster ring is at the surface and that is covered by the standard installed device and cover. Finished appearance is no different from using cable and common outlet boxes. When surface mounted a different type of box cover can be used with the devices being secured by the cover only.

Don Young

Reply to
Don Young