GFCI breaker on hardwired pool pump?

My understanding is that code now requires a GFCI on hardwired residential pool pumps? I'm going to be doing some modification work on an existing circuit, essentially adding an additional electronic pump controller that would work in conjunction with the existing mechanical timer. It will be inspected and AFAIK, this means I need to replace the existing breaker with a GFCI, correct? Pumps in question are two 1hp 240V pumps.

Reply to
trader4

Correct, it use to be that GFCI protection was only required with cord and plug connections. Nec 680.22B, now requires GFCI protection regardless of connection method

Reply to
RBM

Thanks much RBM for the quick answer. I guess that's another $100 out the window.

Reply to
trader4

Thanks much RBM for the quick answer. I guess that's another $100 out the window.

That beats my pool, which needs around 30K. With three kids soon heading for college, I decided to fill in the blood sucking beast . Dirt is still relatively cheap.

Reply to
RBM

Yeah, I hear you. It's actually a friends pool at his house. I'm just a technical advisor. But before he bought the house, I told him the pool can be a big pain in the ass. It could be worse though. I had a boat and that's even worse. :)

What he's putting in is quite interesting. It's a pool heater that uses the heat from the attic to warm the pool. Essentially it's a big heat exchanger with a fan that the pool water runs through. With a

30F deg temp difference between attic and pool water, it's rated at 60,000 BTUs. It uses the existing pool pump. I was skeptical at first, but the company has been selling them for 20 years and I could only find people online that had good things to say about it.
Reply to
trader4

Yeah, I hear you. It's actually a friends pool at his house. I'm just a technical advisor. But before he bought the house, I told him the pool can be a big pain in the ass. It could be worse though. I had a boat and that's even worse. :)

What he's putting in is quite interesting. It's a pool heater that uses the heat from the attic to warm the pool. Essentially it's a big heat exchanger with a fan that the pool water runs through. With a

30F deg temp difference between attic and pool water, it's rated at 60,000 BTUs. It uses the existing pool pump. I was skeptical at first, but the company has been selling them for 20 years and I could only find people online that had good things to say about it.

That actually sounds like a great idea. I use to use roof mounted solar panels. Six panels, maybe 2 foot x 10 foot. The pool filter pump sent the water up and through them, then back into the pool. Damn things leaked like sieves, and pretty much worked only on the sunniest days. Your friends system sounds a bit more sophisticated, and well worth it if it gets anywhere near 60K BTUs, especially considering the price of propane. Good luck with it, Roy

Reply to
RBM

What's the company and product?

I took out the gas pool heater when we redid the pool and patio (old owner said it didn't work anyway). I wanted to fill in the pool, but spousal unit likes it. In N. California we really can only use it from late May to late October without a heater.

The good thing about the pool is that I have now become a chemist, an electrician, a cementist, and a sweeper, in addition to an engineer.

Maybe I'll put in a GFI next time I change the pump. Someone gave me two new Hayward pumps ten years ago, and I'm on the second one now.

Reply to
SMS

This is the company:

As I said, I don't have any personal experience with the product yet. But they've been selling them for a long time and with much searching I could only find people with positive comments about the product. I can make a post in a month or so and let you know how it works out.

Reply to
trader4