GFCI and downstream receptacles

My 1983 house had only one GFCI receptacle, in the garage.

I first bought 3 more GFCIs to install in the backyard and the bathroom, but I found that GFCI in the garage is the first receptacle after a breaker and it is protecting the bath and backyard also (on the same breaker).

So it seems I don't need to install extra GFCI receptacles. Or is there still additional benefits to have GFCIs downstream?

Another concern is that the receptacle looks old is there any benefit to replace it with one that is sold today? It's got no LED status or anything; but the test button and reset works fine.

My other gripe tho is that it is on the front wall of the garage which I'll be putting some cabinets over it soon, I guess I will have to cut a hole incase I need to reset it in the future.

Reply to
jj3000

The instruction sheet that comes with the Leviton GFCI receptical shows downstream loads daisy-chained off the Load connection points on the back. There is also provision for an extra connection off the Line connection point on the device. I believe using the latter is equivalent to what you call pigtailing. I called Leviton tech support and was told that one can do both. I did this when I wanted two bathroom outlets, both GF protected. I did not want all the outlets daisychained off the existing bathroom outlet to be riding off the bathroom GFCI because a trip would be hard to trace. So, I tapped off the Load points for the second bathroom outlet, and off the Line point for reconnecting the existing downstream outlets.

That said, I'm not an electrician, so take this for what it's worth....

Ed

Reply to
Jag Man