Getting to the Light Socket in a GE Refrigerator-Freezer on top.

I have a GE Refrigerator that either has a bad socket or a loose wire. It is a Model TBX 18 BLS. The light socket is on top, in the middle just inside the door. I can't figure out how to get to the socket and wiring to check it. Any help would be greatly appreciate! Thanks! tom
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (TomM in NY) wrote in message

Hi,
The light socket ( power off first! ) should unclip out from the inside of the refrigerator ( should be a small tab ). The wires normally don't give us much problems, bulbs not homing all the way in the socket, bad socket, bad switch are more common trouble makers.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N$46 Light socket
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N6212 Light bulb, 40watt 15amp
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N'14 Light switch, door activated
The light switch will unclip out towards you as well.
Usually a 1/4 hex head screw that holds the assembly up. You almost need a miror to see up there and see the screw, where it is.
The one or two I've worked on, the tab inside the center of the socket isn't making contact with the bottom of the bulb.
Unplug fridge. Remove screw. Lamp assembly swings down. Bend tab a little with a small screw driver. Replace assembly, screw, bulb, plug in. Light works. Customers impressed.
Remit $47.50 for consultation.
--

Christopher A. Young
Join Alt-Hvac Moderated