Getting the last little bit of liquid out of cans before they hit the recycle bin

Page 2 of 2

re: "Carefully, now: don't want to put a hole in the palm of your hand. "
Reminds me of trip I once took with my son's sports team. The hotel provided a continental breakfast and one of the other teenagers grabbed a bagel and a plastic knife.
Wanting to cut the bagel so he could toast it, he placed the tip of the knife on the edge of the bagel, and knowing how tough the crust of a bagel could be, he pushed really, really hard.
That's when he found out that the hotel provided pre-split bagels!
He buried the tip of the plastic knife in the palm of his hand, let out a scream, and then turned his hand over, with the knife hanging out of it and blood running down the knife.
We (including his father) were laughing so hard we could hardly help him.

<re: "Carefully, now: don't want to put a hole in the palm of your hand. "
Reminds me of trip I once took with my son's sports team. The hotel provided a continental breakfast and one of the other teenagers grabbed a bagel and a plastic knife.
Wanting to cut the bagel so he could toast it, he placed the tip of the knife on the edge of the bagel, and knowing how tough the crust of a bagel could be, he pushed really, really hard.
That's when he found out that the hotel provided pre-split bagels!
He buried the tip of the plastic knife in the palm of his hand, let out a scream, and then turned his hand over, with the knife hanging out of it and blood running down the knife.
We (including his father) were laughing so hard we could hardly help him.>
Sounds like a version of "I wouldn't trust that guy with a burned out match!"
-- Bobby G.

An icepick through the hole and out the side seems the best solution but if you take a close look at the design, it's bound to trap water in the neck and even the icepick seems incomplete.

No spindles here for the same reason. You might notice that modern day "paper spikes" have a guard over the tip - you have to feed the paper under the guard and then push down. There are enough fall hazards in the average house. Upward facing spikes? Nyetsky.
-- Bobby G.

I save my cans for my SIL, who has a grand daughter who is autistic, and so I dare not throw an aluminum can out around this house. It's a royal pain, especially when all the other people just put them in the bag, sometimes with a little in there, sometimes half full.
So, I have issued some edicts, just sit them on the work bench out in the garage, and I will take care of them. I have found out the best thing is to just rinse with water when you empty it. Now, I realize it isn't always YOU that empties it, and therefore YOU might run into cigarette butts, terbaccy spit, or no telling what when YOU rinse it out. But I bite the bullet for little Ashlyn. I rinse them out, turn them upside down on a expanded metal rack to dry out, then smash them, but that's something your recycler doesn't want you to do.
Long story short, rinse the can, set out to dry, and hope your cause is worth it. If it wasn't for little Ashlyn, they'd all go in the dumper, as far as I'm concerned. Anyone who would chew tobacco would eat dog ****.
Steve
On 10/26/2010 5:33 AM, Robert Green wrote:

I switched to screw-top bottles. However, I only buy non-sugared products (mainly flavored fizzy water), so there is little there to attract bugs anyway. I find the 1-liter stays fizzy long enough, but the 2-liter ones go flat before I can finish them.
Now if you are talking pop-top food cans, it is different. Gotta wash those, or keep them in a sealed bag till drop-off day.
--
aem sends...

I usually turn the can upside down. Give it a hard spray with the sprayer nozzle from the sink. That gets most of the remaining food.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Read the replies with interest.
Not a problem in my life, as I do not drink pop of any kind, especially not cokes.
(gets up on platform):
I am violently against these "soft drinks", especially for young girls and women. They drink this awful sugared chemical stuff by the gallon instead of milk. Result: There is now an epidemic of premature osteoporosis and its forerunner, osteopenia. Fractures, fractures; hip replacements, etc.
While these young females are supposed to be building strong bones, getting their bodies ready for reproduction -- should they choose to have children -- instead they are ingesting this "poison" that has the opposite effect. Where do they get the taste for cokes? Why, from their parents and grandparents -- the very ones who are agonizing about how to empty pop-up cans. Who in turn got their taste from TV ads. What happened to critical thinking? What happened to self- preservation? What happened to common sense? What's wrong with water or green tea?
(gets off platform)
HB
On 10/27/2010 4:50 AM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Write all of your politicians and demand that a law be passed compelling all soft drink manufacturers to fortify their products with calcium. A government program should be developed to make sure that everything a young woman puts in her mouth be rich in calcium. 8-)
TDD

You're pushing more Nanny State?
How about parents taking responsibility for teaching their children? Remember that ancient concept?
I worked, so was not home when my son returned from school. Early on, I taught him to analyze what the TV commercials were trying to do to his head. IT WORKED! I remember one evening, we were watching TV and he commented "they want me to buy/do X". I don't remember the details, but I do remember being vastly exhilarated that he GOT IT. Throughout his life he has continued to look behind the front and figure out what "they" really want.
BTW: Cokes -- soft drinks -- must be an acquired taste. To me they taste like medicine. And the idea of actually ingesting that stuff is an insult to the food that they accompany. Unless you're into fast food, where it doesn't really matter.
HB
HB
On 10/27/2010 1:56 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Darn, for a hypothetical massive scalar elementary particle you should be bright enough to understand that I was being fecesious[sic]. Never believe anything I write unless you know it to be true or you have researched it for yourself. *snicker*
PS: Watch out for those atomic particle collisions. 8-)
TDD

Oops, my ideology coke-wise ran away with me; sorry I didn't grok your facetious-ness.
Yep, they're tryin' to ketch me, over there in Switzerland, but don't worry, they'll never get ME into one of those cloud chambers!
HB
On 10/27/2010 11:23 PM, Higgs Boson wrote:

Heck, it would be a good excuse for a vacation. You could brag about traveling around a couple of European countries at near the speed of light. You can tell folks you flew on LHC Airlines and they keep it real cold on their flights. 8-)
TDD
On 10/27/2010 11:56 AM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Duhhhh ... what a concept. You think it might work?
Hey, when we were growing up, my parents *never* had any soft drinks in the house. *Ever*. (No TV either, until I was in my teens.) So we just didn't drink it (drank it at friends' houses, but that was it).

But calcium stiffens things....oh!
Harry K
On 10/27/2010 11:16 PM, Harry K wrote:

You mean like boners, I mean bones? 8-)