Getting the battery out.... >:-<

Page 2 of 2
put some windex on it

Apropos wrote:

Throw it away. If you really want to mess with it, poor hot water into. If that doesn't work you may need to poor some diluted vinegar in. If you get it loose, wash it out with more hot water and thoroughly dry it before putting batteries in.
Actually they make tools that have a long shank with a screw threads on the end.
On Fri, 6 Jan 2006 18:12:53 -0500, "Apropos"

Have you tried holding the light and swinging your whole extended arm fast and stopping suddenly? Like a fishing rod?
I don't think I've ever seen a maglite, and i've never done this either, but try this. Mount it and another object of similar weight** on opposite side of some sort of wheel, with the open end of the flashlight pointed out. Put them as far from the center as the wheel allows. You could use a bicycle wheel, but if the wheel is still on the bicycle, there probably wouldn't be room for it to rotate with the flashlight attached. you could mount the wheel somewhere else for this purpose, but I don't know if hand spinning the wheel, or pushing on the spokes with a stick would make it go fast enough. Maybe.
If not try a buffing attachment for an electric drll, or a device you make youself with plywood and a mandrill. The plywood doesn't have to be round as long as you put the mandrill in the center, by weight. Balance the wood on your finger, or on a pencil point, to find the center of gravity. Drll the hole there, and mount the mandrill.
Attach the flashlight and counterweight, and check your balance again. It might even be better to first attach these 2 things to the wood and have them attached when you find the center of gravity for the whole thing. Provice some method to keep the whole flashlight from spinning off when the time comes.
Start spinning slow and gradulally increase speed. Do this out doors, away from anyone or anything you could injure. At some speed, the battery will shoot out of the flashlight like a clown out of a cannon. If you perfect this, you may be able to get even with the neighbor 3 doors away. Although there is no telling if your missile will go up, down, or sideways. Place yourself away from the plane of rotation of the wood. At high speed this thing might go 100's of feet. Perhaps if low speeds don't work at home (I think they will), you coudl go to an empty parking garage, like in a business area on a Sunday and they might have an electric outlet available. I have seen that. Or a farm.
**The counterweight should match the weight of the flashlight (although if the wood is centered after both are mounted to the wood, I guess this isn't necessary. Remember that the wood has to be centered on both axes, not just left to right for example)
But if the center of the wood has been prechosen, perhaps there is a hole there already or your using a buffer wheel: then once the center of gravity of the flashlight and the counterweight are found, the distance from each center of gravity to the center of the wheel should be the same. Apparently that's all one need to do to have the wheel in balance. Although you should check before you start spinning.
Balance may not have to be perfect. It's like an unbalanced tire on a car. It will vibrate a little, and more as speed increases, but still maybe so little as to not interfere before the battery is expelled. I think at a certain speed the vibration will resonate with something, and it will get much worse. That was certainly the case when one of my cylinders wasn't firing, Then when I went faster, the vibration died away again. Don't know too much about this, but I would hold the drill down firmly and not go too fast. Either clamp the drill in place, use a fixed motor, and be prepared to let go when the whole ething tries to escape.
I wonder if you should put some wd-40 in the open part of the flashlight, so it moves more easily after it stops. That stuff is quite thin too and might seem in to where the battery is now. I suppose you should wipe it all oout afterwards.

This has GOT to be the WORST idea I've heard yet.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

LOL -
Seems no one here has any better ideas than I how to do this... :)

is
end
On Mon, 9 Jan 2006 13:11:29 -0500, "Apropos"

It's just that nobody cares.
Find a concrete sidewalk. Take the back off the flashlight. Take the front off the flashlight. Remove the bulb. Slam the butt of the flashlight against the sidewalk until the batteries come out.
(Like a pile-driver, not like a bat)

Then throw it all in the garbage. (after slamming aluminum into concrete,the endcap will not thread on any more.At least you could suggest pounding it on a piece of WOOD)
Best to just send it to the battery manufacturer and have them replace it.
(I also would not use any "advise" from this guy,either!)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik