Getting the battery out.... >:-<

Page 1 of 2
OK... this is a silly problem but as of yet I haven't found an answer:
I have a MagLite flashlight. 4-cell. The innermost battery leaked a bit and is stuck hard in the metal tube.
Any idea how to get the doggone thing OUT without tearing apart the flashlight tube?
I have tried tapping with a hammer, sticking in a coat hanger and screwdriver.... nothing is helping. I even thought to put a screw into the end of the battery for something to pull on but that proved more difficult than I thought, being so far up in there.
Argh!
I think both ends come off.

and is

flashlight
the end

than I

Apropos wrote:

This question came up recently. Check this thread: http://tinyurl.com/7zuvt

Bang it real hard, base down, on a piece of scrap lumber. It may take a fews shots but eventually they'll loosen and come out.
When you get the battery out, check the brand and mail the bad battery and the flashlight to them. They'll send you a check for a new lite, batterties, and reimburse your postage if you ask for it.
Patrick

fews
this is why products cost me more because of PETTY abusers like you
you probably wash paint brushes out and take them back you probably take a huge bite of your chicken sandwich knowing good and well you ordered hambuger, only to say "hey I ordered the polla" you probably eat the free chips they give you at mexican jaunts and then, get up and leave after you take a crap in their toilet
nuff said petty abuser

Shut the fuck up!
NOW it's nuff said, douchebag.....
Red Neckerson wrote:

now now, the fellas just telling it like it T.I. is
did BeBo step on ya foot or something?
got old toes?
what is it then
you think it's ok to break stuff and get paid to break it at my expense
WELL DO YOU SONNY!
damn kids

Soak the tube in vinegar to dissolve the leaking electrolyte.(alkaline cells)
Then get a dowel to pound on the cells. Last resort os a slide-hammer puller,used to pull out automotive body dents.It screws into the dent(or your cell),and a weight slides on the shaft to act as a hammer.
OR,you send it off to the battery maker,and they replace the whole flashlight.(weeks later). Now,after you have begin repair attempts yourself,this may not work.
IMO,Duracells leak more often than Everready.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Peel up the rubber button cover- there is a setscrew under there that unlocks the switch assembly, and allows it to come out the front of the flashlight. Had to do it on mine to retension the spring that rides on top of the battery stack. (Current maglites are built a lot cheaper than the ones from 10-15 years ago, IMHO.) Once the switch is out, the dowel trick should work. Then sanitize all the parts with baking soda or vinegar (depending on battery flavor), rinse, allow to dry at least a day, and reassemble. Don't forget to silicone the threads and O-rings.
Now that prices have come down so much, who is going to expend the time and shipping costs to <maybe> get a replacement on a 20-buck flashlight? <Maybe> back when they were mil-spec quality, cost 40 bucks, and were only available in gun shops that sold cop stuff, but now that every big-box has them?
aem sends...
Recently had the same problem with a mini-Mag. I punched a little hole in the - flat end, threaded in a screw and pulled. It came right out.
ameijers wrote:

Apropos wrote:

I'll repeat my last advice. If you don't use it regularly, but a cheap disposable.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Interestingly,I saw a small version of that "Faraday flashlight",the one you shake to charge up,and has a small LED. On TV,the big one sells for $20,and you get a small one as a "bonus".     In a dollar store,the small one sold alone for $3,so I bought one. Now,they are not a powerful torch,but they will allow you to navigate a dark room,and the LED runs for quite a while on just a couple of shakes,and even retains a charge for many hours in the 'off' postion.For 3 bucks,it is a good buy,IMO.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

http://cgi.ebay.com/Faraday-ForeverShake-LED-Torch-Flashlight-BEST-PRICE_W0QQitemZ8748039006QQcategoryZ106987QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Jim Yanik wrote:
<snip>

<snip>
I thought the whole concept of a "dollar store" was that things didn't cost $3.

And Motel 6 was supposed to cost $6/night. Then the war brought inflation... ;)
--
Free men own guns, slaves don\'t
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

I thought it was $6.66

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

I have one of those flashlights. It uses no battery, but a 1 Farad capacitor. Not very bright, but would be nice to keep in the car for emergencies (no dead batteries).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com
Apropos wrote:

broom handle
Apropos wrote:

man down! man down!
doesn't baking soda neutralize battery acid
Yes, it does. However, alkaline batteries (flashlight cells) don't contain acid.
--

Christopher A. Young
You can\'t shout down a troll.