Getting sewer & water want to keep well too.

Wondering if we keep our well will it freeze due to non use in the winter? Is there some maintenance that has to be done when shutting down. It's a submersible and has a standing pipe, about a foot, in the yard. They allow us to keep it for outdoor use.
Patrick C wrote:

I would refuse public water and sewer. You will pay for that and it doubles every 4 years. In My old town they started charging for the rain! Run off from your property into the storm drains will cost you. They run it all through the treatment process now. They can kiss my butt. I have my own water and sewer and always will even if I have to move again.
--
Blattus Slafaly ? 3 :) 7/8

On Mon, 01 Sep 2008 08:48:33 -0400, Blattus Slafaly
want to keep well too.:

Good points. Around here county water is $4/1000 gals. To get 1000 gals from my well costs about $0.08 which includes amortizing the $600 it costs me to replace the pump and pressure tank every 20 years.

This is acceptable only if the water is good, and in many areas here, it's simply undrinkable, hence the value and safety of public water.

Actually, in many cases, it's a moot point, because you can't "refuse" public water and sewer. Many times when they run new sewers or public water down the street, you are required to hook up to it, whether you like it or not.
As to the well freezing because it's not used, that seems very unlikely. And if it could happen, then something is very wrong with the well plumbing to begin with. What would happen before, if you went away for a week's vacation in Winter?
wrote Re Re: Getting sewer & water

Actually, in many cases, it's a moot point, because you can't "refuse" public water and sewer. Many times when they run new sewers or public water down the street, you are required to hook up to it, whether you like it or not.
As to the well freezing because it's not used, that seems very unlikely. And if it could happen, then something is very wrong with the well plumbing to begin with. What would happen before, if you went away for a week's vacation in Winter?
It never froze when we went for a week or so but don't remember how cold it was. We live in northern Illinois.

I thought they were privately operated now. So you can refuse their service or else get the frig out of town.

--
Claude Hopper ? 3 :) 7/8

I don't think they will give me the option of not hooking up eventually. And the longer we wait the more expensive it will be. It must cost to pump the water and there's the cost of the salt for the softener which is a pain.

did it ever freeze before? like during a vacation or other non use time?

did it ever freeze before? like during a vacation or other non use time?
We went for a week or so and nothing happened, I don't remember how cold it was. We're in northern Illinois.

I have a well and county water. A couple of years ago my well froze up on me do to lack of use over the winter so I hooked it to the toilet that gets the most use. Haven't had any trouble since with that problem.
meant to type well pump froze up, not because of temp but non use, rust probably.

Good idea but my well has a little iron and it would stain the toilet if I didn't leave the softener hooked up which I want to get rid of.

yea , mine too, I just live with it in order to keep the well working. May have to replace the toilet if I ever sell the house.

It's a submersible pump with a 6" pipe sticking out of the ground? If so then the water pipes should be below the freeze line. It'll be fine.
Personally, I'd have it properly filled in and abandoned. I'm so tired of well and septic that I'd pay anything for public utilities.