Getting rusty nipple off.

Page 1 of 2

I'm replacing the faucet on our shower/tub. The nipple is NOT budging. I used WD-40 and kind of stripped the threads in trying to get the nipple off. ANy suggestions? I don't want to use too much strength since the shower head is wiggling as I try to turn the nipple.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

Drill a hole through it and put a screwdriver through the hole then spin it off and get a good stainless steel replacement nipple and you won't have to replace it ever again.
Rich
Rich wrote:

A friend said it might be sodered in at the back by the pipe. I have the steel nipple, I just have to get the old one off.
On 18 Dec 2006 16:42:42 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

When you do get it taken apart apply Teflon tape to it. It is good practice to take apart all new plumbing and/or fixtures and use tape before re-assembly. Ten years down the road you'll understand why.
snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

Thanks, that is something I always do.
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

why is the shower head wiggling?
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

why is the shower head wiggling?
you're just going to fuck it up anyway
naked on the phone wrote:

Thanks for the support!

Heat. If you can safely put a torch to the joint, that will usually break it free.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

A friend thinks it may be sodered on the back of the niple to the pipe. I'm going to try another tool to remove it. Hopefully, that will work. Thanks for advice!
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in

if it's iron pipe(that's usually threaded),it's NOT soldered. Just rusted in.
Why did you need to remove the nipple anyways? (you have to now that the threads are buggered.)
When I replaced my tub spout,the universal kit I bought at Lowes had adapters to fit threaded pipe(2 sizes),or go over copper stub(what I had). It was only $12 as I recall.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

For the record:
WD-40
CLEANS: WD-40 gets under dirt, grime and grease to clean. It also dissolves adhesives, allowing easy removal of labels, tape, stickers, and excess bonding material. DISPLACES MOISTURE: Because WD-40 displaces moisture, it quickly dries out electrical systems to eliminate moisture-induced short circuits. PENETRATES: WD-40 loosens rust-to-metal bonds and frees stuck, frozen or rusted metal parts. LUBRICATES: WD-40's lubricating ingredients are widely dispersed and hold firmly to all moving parts. PROTECTS: WD-40 protects metal surfaces with corrosion-resistant ingredients to shield against moisture and other corrosive elements.
http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_product_info.html
Jim, It was sodered on....
Jim Yanik wrote:

snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote:

lol
it probably was
On 22 Dec 2006 20:00:11 -0800, "naked on the phone"

Dood...... Thats not a nipple, that's YOU DICK that you are trying to get off !
snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net wrote in

WD-40 is NOT a penetrating oil. Use PB Blaster or similar. (WD stands for *water displacing*.)
Use an internal pipe wrench adapter and a socket drive handle.It has a knurled piece that goes inside the nipple and expands against the inside of the pipe,gripping it tightly.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

First off, 86 the wd40. it's basically worthless.
--
Steve Barker

< snipped-for-privacy@adelphia.net> wrote in message
Steve Barker LT wrote:

Hey! useless? WD-40 is a *great* cleaner. I use it to clean up the freeing oil...
I'll try something stronger. Thanks