Getting rust off ceramic

A careless houseguest left a metal-bottomed can on the back of the toilet--the very new, very expensive toilet. As might be expected, the combination of moisture in the bathroom and the metal can left rust marks on the toilet lid (not seat). I've done all I can with gentle methods (I used dish soap and a soft sponge) and got rid of most of it. However, there are still a few small, but noticeable, rust stains. I'm hoping for advice on how to remove the rust without harming the ceramic. Thanks in advance for any advice and/or suggestions!
--

Clever stuff: www.cafepress.com/saproducts
US troops killed in Iraq: www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties

Have you tried Soft Scrub? -Dan
Maybe CLR...
On Thu, 02 Dec 2004 22:11:22 GMT, LinuxSaves

Scotchbright pads.........

The suggestions so far have included CLR, SoftScrub, and Scotchbright pads. Can I be reasonably sure that none of these will damage the ceramic? Unlike a bathtub, which I'm sure any of these products would be fine on, the toilet lid has a very glossy finish and I'm concerned that it may get damaged if the cleaning method is too harsh.
Thanks!
Clark Griswold wrote:

Your local grocery store or home hardware store should have a bottle of stuff specifically designed to remove rust stains. Look for a cleaner containing oxalic acid.
says...

I'll second that, and add a caution: your local hardware store will also have squeeze bottles of hydrofluoric acid for removing rust stains. This is much more aggressive at removing rust stains, but it can also etch many glazed surfaces, leaving them dull and in need of constant cleaning. (Not to mention they're more hazardous to the user.)
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
Barkeepers Friend
On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 04:04:13 GMT, Murray Peterson

Just be careful not to rub if you use that -- it contains some serious abrasives.
LinuxSaves wrote:

Hi, Baking soda won't rub it off? Tony

Naval Jelly or some other oxalic acid based product. Takes very little.
Roger wrote:

"ZUD" cleanser powder, supermarket item, oxalic based, milder than Navel Jelly (which would be my second choice). Dave
Often you can remove small rust marks from your enamel pots and pans by rubbing with a little baking powder on a damp cloth. -Haleys
For really hard to remove rust stains on your porcelain sinks, tubs and toilet, try rubbing the area with automotive rubbing compound on a cloth. -Haleys
I've not tried either of these. Use at your own risk. Whatever you try, test it out on an inconspicuous part of the toilet first.
mikey.
LinuxSaves wrote:

My choice would be a cream cleaner made for cleaning glass stove tops. It's both a cleaner and a polish. It will definitely leave your toilet lid spotless and shiny.
--
Wayne in Phoenix

Wow! I'm so grateful for all the suggestions. Baking soda hadn't even occurred to me, and since I have some on hand I think I'll try that first before buying any of the products mentioned.
Thanks everyone! This is a great group.
--

Clever stuff: www.cafepress.com/saproducts
US troops killed in Iraq: www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2003/iraq/forces/casualties
LinuxSaves wrote:

I would use a hydrofloric acid rust stain remover called "Whink". It will take the rust off instantly. You need to wear rubber gloves when you use it, and wipe and rinse it off the porcelain as soon as it's done because it will slowly attack the porcelain finish and you don't want to give it a chance to remove the shine.
If you don't want to risk etching the finish at all, use a rust removal product called "Naval jelly" (I believe it's phosphoric acid based).
Best regards, Bob
I just wanted to report that the stains are gone (at least to the naked eye!). What's funny is that I didn't end up needing anything else other than the liquid dish soap (Palmolive) I had used originally. Before I started this thread I'd left a little soap rubbed onto each of the tiny stains that remained, and forgot about it. When I went back and wiped it off, the stains were gone.
But I am VERY grateful for the great suggestions and willingness to help. This board is really amazing and I'm glad to have found it. I only wish that I had thought to look for it a few years ago when I was having a lot of work done on my house. I KNOW it would've come in handy.
Thanks again! :-)