Getting rid of the neighbor cats

Page 4 of 8

if you were my neighbor and my cat was bothering your garden, and $15 would solve the problem, I'd be happy to pay for the stuff...
<snip>
My wife well run it over for free.
Jon Danniken wrote:

Cats, generally, don't like and avoid the smell of citrus. If you can find an air freshener, cleaning compound, etc. that emits such an odor, it might act as a deterrent.
Or you could move.
On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 05:50:57 -0500, HeyBub wrote:

Lion crap is supposed* to work really well - talk to the local zoo if you have one (and if they have a Lion!).
* seriously.
HeyBub wrote:

Well, I do like the smell of citrus; might be a win-win on this one.
Thanks,
Jon

I have this trouble, too. A neighbor Lady feeds the stray cats that live in the woods and, for whatever reason, they have chosen to come and go to her house through my yard.
I was constantly finding their poop and places they dig up in my vegetable patch to try and bury their poop, so I sprinkled moth balls around the vegetable patch and that seems to help reduce their intrusions.
Lewis
*****
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mmmmmmm! Love those moth ball flavored veggies.

I built a trap out of wire, lumber, cutting board, string and a mouse trap. I found directions at the library but you can probably find them on the internet. I found out, after I built it, I could of rented traps from Animal Control.
After I caught them I called Animal Control and they took them.
If you know who owns the cats you might tell them first.

Here's one that works basically the same. Instead of the floor on a fulcrum, I used a mouse trap to pull the string. It worked just as planned.
http://icwdm.org/Images/cat-house/FeralHouseCat_img_3.jpg

We resolved our issues with cats but were knew who they belonged to. We dropped a copy of the city By Laws in their mail box regarding free roaming cats and dogs. Then we started taking the animals to humane services. First bail out cost the owners 75.00, second time 150.00 before they decided to keep their pets indoors. As for stray cats? trap them and bring them to humane services.
Why don't you just move?
Larry W wrote:

Since no where else has cats.

I am at a loss as how to respond to your question without appearing to be engaging in an ad hominum attack.
Dick, that's a classy answer. Well done!
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Jon Danniken wrote:

Called your local animal control folks?

That's a good one. I called AC and they said they'll be right out. That was 3 months ago.

Squeaky wheel. You're having the crap bugged out of you, right? Bug the crap out of animal control. Call them enough, and they'll come out just to shut you up. Seriously.
No, it shouldn't have to be that way, but that's the way it is.

Meh...
I called them about a dog that roams around. Mean looking dog but actually not so bad. Problem with AC is they won't get out in time to see the problem. I like to take care of the problem myself.

You are either an optimist, or live in an area where they will actually come out. In 95% of the country, they will not even come out unless you have the animal trapped on YOUR property.
Steve

LOL. *not* an optimist. Guess I just picked the right spot to live.
SteveB wrote:

That's pretty much the way it is around here. I called them once to ask if I could trap them, and they told me I would have to first inform my neighbors that I was intending to trap them. Trapping can also yield a crying, trapped animal, garnering the attention of everyone around, and I don't want to be known as someone who does that sort of thing, or someone to whom everyone runs with accusations when their precious little fluffy goes missing.
I have to live here, after all, and humans are unpredictable creatures, especially when they have somewhere to point their bony little fingers at.
So, I'm looking at behavior modification, either via electricity or, as was suggested water. I like the water idea, but this being winter, and it being prone to freezing around here, I'm leaning towards going with electricity.
Plus, the ground is wet, so there is a good ground.
Would love to hear if anyone else has had success with that method.
Jon