Getting rid of skunks

I'm not sure if this is the right group to be asking this, but I'll give it a try. Skunks somehow got underneath the house in the crawl space. Does anyone know of a way to get them out?

Reply to
Mizzy M

In article , snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net says... :) I'm not sure if this is the right group to be asking this, but I'll give :) it a try. Skunks somehow got underneath the house in the crawl space. :) Does anyone know of a way to get them out? :) :) Inspect around the home and you should be able to see where they are gaining access at. You might try some of the predator urine and place around the opening and see if they avoid the area for a few days. If you can determine they aren't around, secure the opening colsed. You might also be able to make one way door that let's it out and not get back under neath.

Reply to
Lar

Do you know exactly how many? Is yes, carefully check the crawlspace at night when they're out foraging. If you're positive they're gone, close their access points.

By the way, skunks are better than cats when it comes to terminating mice. Not sure if that matters to you, but there it is. :-)

Reply to
Doug Kanter

If it's the one that comes around my house at night, don't bother it. It helps take care of the mice and grubs. I also would discourage anyone just hanging around at night. So far our few meetings have been friendly. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The only way is to close up the area under your house completely. Make sure the final closure is done when the skunks are out. I've got skunks and porcupines around my house and they don't bother anyone. The only caution would be that we have had several rabid skunks in the area this summer. If yours are behaving strangely give them a wide berth.

Boden

Mizzy M wrote:

Reply to
boden

A rifle does wonders !!!!!

Reply to
anoldfart2

And a narrow caibre - Obstructing them is a better answer though. Despite their smell they are good critters - just anoying.

Reply to
C & M

Ammonia soaked rags or open dishes of ammonia will drive any critter out. After you're sure they're all out, block entrances. They tend to go out from their dens at early nightfall, but that can vary. They may or may not consider your place their den.

If you shoot any, keep at least 30 feet away, and after the smell relents a bit, build a fire over them to neutralize the odor.

Reply to
yellowbirddog

Thanks for all the suggestions. If it wasn't for the odor, I wouldn't mind having them around because I know they are good at taking care of rodents. :-)

While surfing, I found a suggestion to close off all openings except the main burrow. Sprinkle a thick layer of flour in front of the main opening and after dark examine for tracks that indicate the skunks have left to feed. Then cover that entrance. Reopen the entrance for one hour after dark the next day to allow any remaining skunks to exit before permanently sealing.

We never thought of the flour to check for tracks. Will try this tomorrow night.

Reply to
Mizzy M

The ammonia-soaked rags worked perfectly for me. Watch for a couple weeks....my smelly friend twice came back to try to dig back under the house. I laid out more rags in the area.

Reply to
LJ

I used mothballs. The skunk family cleared out in a couple days.

Reply to
Marc