getting rid of rats

In article , "Terry" wrote: [snip story of homemade mousetrap]

And that "saves time and money" compared to a spring trap exactly HOW????

A spring trap costs about a dollar, can be used over and over, and takes all of maybe thirty seconds to set, and another thirty seconds to empty.

Compare that to the time, and cost of gasoline, involved in "taking the mouse for a Sunday morning drive" and tell us again how you're saving either time or money with that approach.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You don't have cats, you have pussies.

During the middle ages, the Church became convinced that cats were the "familiars" and hand-maidens of Satan and cats were largely exterminated throughout Europe. Mice and rats multiplied unabated and the Black Death followed.

One-third of Europe died.

Reply to
HeyBub

You are right, cats do not kill rats. The rats are too big for a cat to kill a full grown rat, babies maybe. Cats specialize on mice, voles and other small rodents. The real rat killer is a dog. They are big enough and strong enough to take on a rat and win. You need a good sized strong hunting type dog, and they will get rid of the rats and enjoy the challenge.

Reply to
EXT

This is the same mentality that decided old women were "witches" and tortured/murdered/burned alive untold numbers of innocent old women. Scholars differ on the numbers involved - from millions to hundreds of thousands -- but not on the documented existence of this dreadful, mindless holocaust.

Mentality carried across the ocean to Salem, in the not-too-distant past.

Hallowe'en is just around the corner. Witches riding on broomsticks - same stereotype visualization sold in every supermarket aisle.

Very thin veneer of "civilization" on us savages. Sapiens? Hah!

Reply to
aspasia

Getting a little pussie is a good thing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
moocherspy

Our water authority advocates vehicle maintenance to avoid anti freeze and oil leaks as our run off water returns to Lake Mead (water quality/drought).

As a side note they mentioned the danger to pets in a flier sent out.

-- Oren

Oren

You'll have to admit, though, after the Salem trials we didn't have any more trouble with witches.

Now in a similar vein, I'm gonna tell you something that may save your life!

This business about a wooden stake in the heart to kill a vampire is pure Hollywood bullshit. If you read Bram Stoker's book, "Dracula," you'll see that what's required is a BOWIE KNIFE, not some pissant tent peg!

I'm in Texas. We have a LOT of Bowie knives in Texas and do NOT have a vampire problem.

Your milage may vary...

Reply to
HeyBub

Your point is well taken. Still, if you kill enough babies, the vermin dies out.

Some say this is what's happening to political liberals in the US (see "Roe Effect").

For example, there were 75,000 abortions in Florida in 1980. Were it not for the abortions, those 75,000 would have voted in their first election in

2000. Bush won Florida by 500-odd votes and with it, the presidency. How would those 75,000 missing votes influenced the outcome?
Reply to
HeyBub

Right, it is not for pressure, only thinning. You must be tested frequently also to be sure it is not too thin as that becomes dangerous. It is often prescribed along with an aspirin to "fine tune" the viscosity. Patients will get a PT test prothrombin time from once a week to up to six weeks depending on stability. Cardiac patients, those at high risk of stroke and those with certain blood disorders use it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Probably not. Felons can't vote in Florida.

Reply to
gfretwell

Yes, antifreeze works also on cats, dogs, small children, and babies.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:qFn% g.9348$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.nyroc.rr.com:

What about in-laws? Does it work on in-laws?! Come on! Give it up!!!

Reply to
Al Bundy

You have to put a lot of gin in the Prestone to get your mother in law to drink it.

Reply to
gfretwell

So, what then *do* you use?

And, are there any good books (or sites) on *how* to do it (get rid of rats, that is)?

(Professionals-to-be have to learn *some* way...)

Thanks,

David

Reply to
David Combs

I use a bait containing Bromadiolone, actually have been using it for a number of years and have no issues with it. I like Bell Labs product called Contrac, mainly because their baits are made with the rat taste in mind. There are other baits containing Bromadiolone, but if the rats don't eat it it won't kill them.

At the moment I can't think of a reference for you...a friends site has some general information, but it also has some info we differ on.

Most of what a professional learns, other than the generic "classroom" type knowledge of "this is a rat 101" comes from being out in the field and constantly being amazed what rats do to survive amongst us.

Reply to
Lar

Rats are like any other uninvited guest. When you stop feeding them, they will leave. Actually, that's only half the story. When you remove their food, they are still instinctually bound to stay where they are as much as they can, and they will eat their young as a food source rather than go elsewhere. Because they are generally destined to die unless they can find another site where they won't be 'trespassing'.

In my experience, the presence of dogs, their food, and their feces are an extremely common theme with rat infestations.

David Combs wrote:

Reply to
Michael B

Alright enough of this non-sense. Here is the surest solution.

Load all the rats up on a bus and take it to New Jersey.

Once there the Rats will definately run for office. They will undoubtedly all win....and stay.

Reply to
Hex

This is a juvenile rattus rattus I caught the other day. This is a roof rat, tree rat, fruit rat or "palmetto squirrel" for the chamber of commerce folks. They get about 50% bigger full grown. Our readers should note the identifying long tail. The mesh is 1/2" hardware screen and these guys can eat a hole through it (I have a patch in this trap). Peanut butter with dog food in it did the trick on this one. He now sleeps with the fishes. "Cute" didn't save his ass.

gfretwell

The majority of the rats I deal with in the Dallas area are roof rats..the common theme I have seen is vertical growing vines. Jasmine, honeysuckle, English ivy. As many rat calls that I can remember either on the property or the adjacent ones will be found the vines allowed to grow upwards on the fence, trees, arbors, even when just on the ground thick up against the house a rat nest usually can be found.

Reply to
Lar

Ya know, White Castles are very popular around here. Don't know why, since they have a Communion-wafer sized patty, and the burgers are 2-for-a-dollar. But anyway, they are open 24/7. So if I were to arrive at one, to find it closed, I'd not wait in their parking lot for them to open, I'd go elsewhere. Same thing for rats. If they don't find food, they'll go elsewhere. Regardless of where or how their nests are located or accessed, they will try to be near to their food source. I hope that by now everybody here understands that rats eat dog feces. For undigested food, and for vitamin B-6 that they don't absorb well on the 'first pass'. So I say again, if there are rats, eliminate their food sources. And be especially watching for dogs and their associated food sources of whatever variety.

Lar wrote:

Reply to
Michael B