getting rid of %&^% raccoons?

Page 1 of 2
Does anyone know of a lethal mixture that raccons will like, but dogs, cats will not? I am totally fed up with racoons strewing rotting garbage all over my yard. I have tried raccoon locks and everything else to no avail. I can't use a gun in my neighbourhood.
I seem to recollect a mixture of antifreeze and something?
I hate to do that, but after more years than I can count of it, enough is enough. I have other things to do than clean up after the SOB's.
thanks.
EmptyWallet wrote:

Raccoons are a popular topic here. Go to: http://groups.google.com /
Click on Advanced Search and do a search for: raccoon on: alt.home.repair
Over 400 hits
Jim

Keep your garbage in you garage, and/or secure the garbage with a strong lid.
Banty
In Tennessee we use lead. Very effective, instantaneous, no suffering, and you get the animal you want to get.
Bob

cats
over
can't
Yeah but it's a slow death and if the raccoon decides to drop dead somewhere you can't get to(crawl space, under porch) you are going to have more problems to deal with. Have you tried cayenne pepper? I've made a mixture of boiling water, crushed garlic & onions steeped for about ten minutes added some cayenne pepper. Applied it to where I've seen the critters. They don't come around anymore.

cats
over
can't
Ive used bungie cords on garbage cans with success. Get a have- a -heart cage and release far away..
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (m Ransley) wrote in message

Or better yet, release them where you have good range to pop them with a .22
-Tony
At last a worthwhile suggestion, rather than storing garbage in a 90 degree garage for a week between pickups!
I will try this cayenne pepper trick. Any tips on strength or mixture amounts?
I really don't wan to kill them, but enuf is enuf. And if it fails, it sounds good enough to try on my steaks......

is
if you have one of those dollar stores, go buy a big thing of it and just walk around your yard shaking it. regular black pepper works just as well so if you can get more, buy that. it doesnt need to be thick or anything. works for a few days. less if its raining. it will keep cats and dogs out though... wont kill anything.
but if they're coming to your house over and over, they're coming there for a reason and its probably food. do you leave food outside for cats and dogs? they could also be coming for that. i had a friend once that had a skunk coming over daily through the cat door to get their food. it was kind of cute until one day it sprayed <g>
eliminating whatever that reason is for them being there will probably solve the problem.
randy

degree
I have a fish pond and a swimming pool. Couple that with garbage cans that they can unscrew in spite of best efforts and racoon locks, they have a bloody buffet! That plus neighbours' trash as well is why they keep coming back. The ammonia sounds like a plan. Certainly worth a try. In retrospect, the pepper bit may cause grief to my dog and the cats....

I read here awhile back that a couple of tablespoons of ammonia in the trash can or bag will stop them, I tried it and it actually works!
Clear ammonia from the grocery costs here about $1.00/half-gallon.
Bert
firecrackers have been working for me and the occasional pellet gun blast.

asian families work the best of all at removing coons

The best course of action would be to secure your garbage instead of killing them.

killing
But if you shoot them, you not only get rid of the pest, you get enough meat for a couple of meals. It's a win-win situation where no one loses.
Bob

meat
<In my best Homer Simpson voice>
"Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm........coon-kabobs................"
;-]

I was expecting I'd get a few replies from the rich city folk who would be horrified by killing the raccoons for food. These rich city folk think their steaks grow in the garden and the plastic shrink wrap is part of the ripening process.
Bob

Generally,it's against the law to discharge a firearm in urban,residential areas. Also a bad idea due to where a missed shot could end up. I suspect many shooters would not use the carcasses for meat,but just dispose of it in the trash.(maybe attracting more animals)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
"EmptyWallet" <the_empty snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message