Getting rid of poison ivy

Page 1 of 3
While cleaning up in the back yard, I noticed one 6 foot long vine of poison ivy on a fence behind the work shop. I was going to go buy some poison ivy killer from Lowes, but looked up if there was a natural way to get rid of it. I found this info and wanted to know if anyone else has tried this:
"Start with a gallon of white vinegar. The “average” vinegar is 5% acidic and will work just fine, but if you can find one that’s 10% or 20% your mixture will be more potent. Pour the vinegar into a pot and heat it over the stove. Add 1 cup of salt and stir until the salt dissolves. Let it cool, then add 2 tablespoons of liquid dish soap.
Vinegar, when diluted with a gallon of water makes a good fertilizer for acid-loving plants like azaleas, rhododendrons and blueberries. When mixed full strength with salt, it works very much like Round-Up. The dish soap helps the mixture to stick to the leaves." http://mikesbackyardnursery.com/2014/03/what-kills-poison-ivy/
I mixed up a small hand sprayer version of this recipe and sprayed the vines leaves while it was still hot. While the leaves were wet with the mixture I sprinkled additional salt on the plants leaves. I know salt will do damage to many plants and even prevent some from growing, so added the extra salt in case of rain that might or might not clip us in a couple of hours. I figure the salt will get washed into the soil below the plant and do some damage that way, too.
Anyway, it's been about an hour since I sprayed it with the hot mixture and the leaves are already wilting, but, it looks like we may get the rain I thought was going to miss us. I can re-spray the leaves if need be, so that isn't a problem.
My question is has anyone tried getting rid of poison ivy and what did you have to resort to before it finally did the job. I've heard it's hard to get rid of, but thought I'd try the natural method first before resorting to dangerous chemicals.
--
Maggie

On 4/26/2016 1:53 PM, Muggles wrote:

I use the dangerous chemicals. You don't spray anything but the poison ivy with them. If you want to glove and bundle up you could pull it and bag it for the trash can. Lots of luck.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 12:55:41 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

I'm with Frank. I use the dangerous chemicals as you want to kill it, not just aggravate it. You want to kill the roots and just hoping the salt will get to the roots is just, well hoping. Without touching it, can you cut the vine close to the ground and spray a real poison ivy killer on the cut portion?
Wear gloves, wear long sleeves if you decide to pull the vine down after it's dead. Wash your clippers in hot soapy water to kill the sap from the poison ivy. Whatever you do, DON'T BURN THE VINES!
Let me repeat that DON'T BURN THE VINES!
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:37:36 -0700 (PDT), ItsJoanNotJoann

One thing that works - not "legal" is a mix of diesel fuel and roundup.. Just a few onces of DF per gallon.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 18:09:12 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Diesel is one of the recommended wetting agents for Garlon 4 (the active ingredient in Ortho Brush B Gone). It does work.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 15:47:53 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster wrote:

Uncle M, did you ever see someone actually using a handcar? I did.
They hadn't used them in decades when I was a tyke, but I they still had them around in the railyards, and I'm guessing that the putt-putts had all gone ka-putt and there was a guy who really needed to get somewhere.
--
http://mduffy.x10host.com/index.htm

For at least the last 30-40 years all I see is a pickup truck with the flip down rail road wheels.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 8:12:23 PM UTC-4, Mike Duffy wrote:

hey at a fall festival in mars pa I got to actually use one of those pump handcars. they stopped letting people ride it for liability concerns. it was hard work but a bucket list kinda item. from watching the old petticoat junction tv show
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 5:09:16 PM UTC-5, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Most of my city sidewalk is a bit aged and grass and weeds like to pop up in those cracks that come with age. I used to put gasoline in a plastic bottle and put one of those dishwashing pop up caps on it. I was able to direct the just where I wanted it and had no weeds for about 5 months. Now I use that bottle to put a solution of Roundup in it and have no weeds or grass in those cracks until the next year.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 11:37:36 -0700, ItsJoanNotJoann wrote:

Ditto on the gloves and long sleeves! Here's what I wear by way of illustration:

BTW, if your clothes aren't stained black from the urushiol, then you haven't been playing in the real stuff yet.

The stiuff is bad enough to make someone a mile downwind VERY sick if the wind is right - particularly if you are in an inversion or it's a bit foggy to hold the smoke down.
Per snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca:

When I was about nine years old, I found myself in the smoke from somebody burning vegetation - and not just a couple hundred feet away... Wound up face, neck, arms, and legs covered with what looked/felt like poison ivy.
--
Pete Cresswell

At least you didn't inhale.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:55:41 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:

Glyphosate (Roundup) works for me, at about 5% concentration. Some may be harder to kill, in which case the brush killer products work.
On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 13:41:17 -0700, trader_4 wrote:

Glyphosate concentrate at %45 is the strongest I can find.
I add a few drops of dish detergent (added surfactant) and I paint the cut vines (usually my poison oak vines are about an inch to 3 and sometimes 4 inches in diameter).
Lot's of people "say" you can "spray" poison oak, but, they must have little bitsy stuff or they're using a helicopter to spray it 'cuz when it's that thick that you can't even walk or crawl through it on your hands and knees, no amount of 'spraying' is going to work.
On Wed, 27 Apr 2016 18:10:34 +0000, Danny DiAmico wrote:

Ooooops. I meant 45%.
This stuff:

On Tue, 26 Apr 2016 13:55:28 -0400, Frank wrote:

I use the dangerous chemicals too!

On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 1:53:06 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:

As danger goes, herbicides are not that dangerous. I generally find poison ivy growing under desirable shrubs and trees (the birds crap out the seeds while sitting on a branch). Rather than just indiscriminately spraying herbicide, I sometimes cut back the poison ivy, soak a piece of paper towel in Roundup for Poison Ivy, wrap it around the remaining twig, and crimp some aluminum foil on that. I wear disposable latex, vinyl, or nitrile gloves, and tape them to the cuffs of my sleeves. I wear an old shirt, and discard it afterward.
It works pretty well.
Cindy Hamilton
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 2:41:57 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

Roundup works fine.
Once in a while I really do have to cut some.
First I spray it with hairspray, then work a plastic bag over it, then cut with shears that I immediately wash. I haven't had any trouble doing it this way and I am highly allergic.
On Tuesday, April 26, 2016 at 2:00:59 PM UTC-5, TimR wrote:

Interesting! What does the hairspray do??