Getting rid of Mouse

There are live mouse traps. Google on "Havahart" and "Live mouse traps".

I couldn't find it on the web, but we still have a live trap which consists in a wire dome with an open top. The mice would go in for bait, and could not climb out. They'd be released through a trap door in the bottom.

Release far from the house (like a mile or so at least) or they find their way back.

Although, really it just give mice a fighting chance. I think we mostly fed the owls.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Joe, There's a big assed rat in here named AMUN. Do you suggest glue traps or snap traps? I don't haveaheart when it comes to this putz so personally I'd recommend snap traps.

Reply to
G Henslee

What would you do if you had termites?

FACE

Reply to
FACE

Sell and move. By the time you catch it, it will have had babies. Hundreds and hundreds of them will soon invade you.

Reply to
G Henslee

One would no doubt have to use much smaller chairs, rulers and buckets.

AMUN

Reply to
Amun

The mouse is gonna have a heart attack.

Note that

Reply to
A. Smith

Hi,

We have got a mouse in our house and we want to know best way to get him out of the house.

We do not want to kill him. Ultrasound system any good?

Rajinder

Reply to
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Those things are worthless except that they make money to those selling them

I used glue traps. My daughter that was about 10 at the time, could not allow any animal to die. So with gloves and care, the mouse was removed from the trap and cleaned up with alcohol. My daughter keep it in a cage for the next few years until it died of old age. Today my daughter is a zoo keeper. Love of animals runs in the family.

I suggest checking at your local hardware store. Most have live traps that work OK if they are bated with the right stuff and put in the right area.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On 10/2/2005 6:49 AM US(ET), Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt took fingers to keyboard, and typed the following:

I've used a small clear plastic live trap box bought in some hardware store. It was about 6" long and about 2" wide and high. It has a swinging door at one end that allows the mouse to push in, but does not swing back out. It has no mechanical or metal parts. It was only a couple of dollars, if that, and was reusable. I put a cracker with peanut butter at the far end of the box. I caught 14 of them in a shed within a month or two a couple of years ago. They were getting in through the hollow vinyl plastic siding corners of the shed. They climbed up inside the hollow corners into the soffits where they had free reign to go anywhere in the shed. I sealed the bottom ends of the vinyl corners afterwards with both steel wool and expanding foam insulation.

Reply to
willshak

My family has always had success with a home-made live trap consisting of a kitchen chair, an old towel, a five-gallon plastic bucket, a 12-inch ruler, and some peanut butter. Tie the towel to the back of the chair to provide a ladder for the mouse. Put the bucket on the floor by the chair. Smear the peanut butter on the end of the ruler, and balance it on the chair and the bucket to make a bridge, such that when the mouse walks out to the end of the ruler to eat the peanut butter, the ruler falls in the bucket. Note that the ruler has to be shorter than the bucket is tall, or the mouse will just climb out. Place in whatever room the mouse hangs out in, before you go to bed at night. Within 2-3 days, I bet you have the mouse. Carry bucket at least a block away before releasing the mouse, or he will beat you home. You did block up the usual outside entry points already, right?

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Have you served it with an eviction notice?

Reply to
Rich

[...]

That's really a hoot, and it sounds like a sure winner.

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Nature is not as caring for little critters as some people are. I use cats, myself, and see the termination of house mice as leaving more food for the smarter field mice, like in the movie *Never Cry Wolf*.

Reply to
Bert Byfield

Let me guess, you are upper class liberals with expensive tastes, and you vote deomocrap?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Write to your elected officials?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

ameijers wrote: ....

That reminds me of one the one that did not end up in the usual trap. I was sitting in the kitchen with our cat on my lap when I spotted a mouse running down the counter towards the spot where the cat food bowl was sitting. Cat and I about three feet away watched the mouse hop into the bowl grab a chow and head off around the counter and jumped down at the end to run behind the frig.

I got the large trash can and emptied it and sat back down. The mouse returned and I put the trash can at the end of the counter where he jumped the last time. It worked, he ran back the same way and took the same jump, only this time he landed in the trash can and it was too high to jump out of and too slick to climb.

My cat was a lover not a killer. He caught our parakeet one time and carefully brought it over to me and put it in my hand unhurt. When a bird from outside got in, he caught it and brought it to me unhurt. I would not think either of my cats I have now would bring it to me unhurt.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I don't have any suggestions for getting rid of this one, beyond the suggestions already made (but I do suspect that you probably have more than one -- seeing one usually indicates that there are others). My suggestion is that you need to locate any points of possible access to your home and seal them to prevent other mice from entering. Look carefully for holes, cracks, and fisures, especially if you live in an older home. Check for open spaces around plumbing and cracks in plaster. Then carefully *plug* all such spaces. We found that steel wool stuffed firmly into all such areas worked best.

MaryL

Reply to
MaryL

Reply to
Telstra

We tend to get a couple/few mice every fall. My experience has been that there is no way to keep them out -- there's always some crack somewhere they can get in. I have had good luck with a no-kill trap, and then letting them go somewhere far away. I bought the trap at a hardware store. The trap I have is a small plastic box. You put bait in (peanut butter on a cracker works well) and set it carefully in a likely spot (like where you have seen the droppings). When a mouse goes in the box tips back and the door swings shut and latches. Sometimes it takes a few tries to get the mouse -- the trap somehow tips accidentally, or sometimes the mouse somehow gets the bait without activating the trap. But it always works eventually. Set it up when you go to bed and check it first thing in the morning. You can then release the mouse in a natural area, or near someone's house you don't like! -- H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Yeah right next to Rajinder's house.

Reply to