Getting rid of bat in house

I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.
put some goggles on and get a broom... open a few windows and doors, and have fun.. chase him out
stay relaxed
tenplay wrote:

tenplay wrote:

We used to use a tennis racket. Minimum lighting; hold racket edge on; as bat swoops, present racket full face. Carry bat clinging to racket outside and toss the beast into the air. TB

That worked for me when I had one. I thin he was happier being outside.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
Wait till the dark of night..open the nearest door.. turn on light outside.. or put light on lawn .. shut all lights off in house.. get him to fly..he will fly out side... bat gone!

If you can easily get to him, put on a glove and just pick it up and carry it out.
When I had a bat, it was flying back and forth in my hallway at 2:00 AM. I ended up swatting it with a pot lid to knock him down, then took it outside. It was quite a sight, my wife said, watching me swat at it with the lid. I had two doors open, but he never headed to either of them.
tenplay wrote:

Shine the bat symbol into the night sky. Someone will come to your aid.
herlihyboy wrote:

can bats SEE???
I thought they were blind and used sound radar?
Mark
Mark wrote:

they can only see the bat symbol, that, and bat pussy
those two things they can see
tenplay wrote:

Are SURE it's a bat? Recently my bank had one. They called the building bat-removal technician. Before the janitor arrived, though, the whole thing turned out to be a false alarm; the "bat" was a bank vice president.

You don't know how lucky you are!!!
Do you know how many guys would love to have the old bat hanging from a 12 ft stairwell?!
All joking aside..bats carry rabies..not good if you are bitten.
The outside light draws insects, bats like insects, don't know if they see them, smell them, or find them with their radar, but it works!

Andy & Carol wrote:

you've heard the expression blind as a bat
bats are completely blind
they use sonar
or is it radar
hmmm, not sure...
they use radar, we used to throw rocks up in the air and watch the bats chase the rocks to the ground
one time, I threw the rock up and it came down and went through the back glass of my moms chevy malibu... just a small hole... I thought she might not even notice it for a while.
but then little cracks started spreading throughout the glass... in 2 mins, the whole back glass was a milky web of cracks...
ooops
Actually, bats CAN see. They use echolocation to supplement their vision in the dark.
http://www.bats.org.uk/helpline/helpline_learn_echolocation_bat_detectors.asp
Jo Ann
sosexyithurts wrote:

I can read minds. I use torture and drugs to supplement this:-)
tenplay wrote:

Thanks for all the suggestions. Haven't seen the bat since that evening. Guess all it wanted was some attention from alt.home.repair. I suppose it went out of the house the same way it got in. We just had some siding replaced on the exterior of the house last week. I wonder if the repair opened up a gap through which the bat could enter.
Naw...He is there, probably lurking behind the drapes, waiting for your wife put her hand behind them, then he flies out and scares the hell out of her!

Been there, had that happen! My most startling bat encounter was right after I moved last year. Late in the evening, I unpacked a box of iced-tea glasses that needed to be washed before putting them away. I decided to set them aside for washing the next morning.
Next day, I noticed from across the room that one of the glasses in the lineup had something brown in the bottom. Thinking it must be a wadded-up piece of packing paper, I started to reach in, and abruptly realized there was a nose-down bat in the glass.
The bat was dead, and to this day I am still wondering what it was doing in that glass. Did it perch on the edge, die, and fall in? Die in the air and randomly tumble in? Fly in nose-first and die because it couldn't get back out? In retrospect, I probably should have taken it to the health department (bat rabies has been confirmed in my county, as in most counties in my state), but at the time I just put it in the garbage can.
Jo Ann