Getting rid of bat in house

I have a bat in my house. How can I get rid of it? It is currently hanging upside down about 12 feet up at the top of our central stairwell. I live in Western Washington. Thanks for any advice/suggestions.

Reply to
tenplay

put some goggles on and get a broom... open a few windows and doors, and have fun.. chase him out

stay relaxed

tenplay wrote:

Reply to
yeeha

We used to use a tennis racket. Minimum lighting; hold racket edge on; as bat swoops, present racket full face. Carry bat clinging to racket outside and toss the beast into the air. TB

Reply to
tbasc

That worked for me when I had one. I thin he was happier being outside.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Wait till the dark of night..open the nearest door.. turn on light outside.. or put light on lawn .. shut all lights off in house.. get him to fly..he will fly out side... bat gone!

Reply to
Andy & Carol

If you can easily get to him, put on a glove and just pick it up and carry it out.

When I had a bat, it was flying back and forth in my hallway at 2:00 AM. I ended up swatting it with a pot lid to knock him down, then took it outside. It was quite a sight, my wife said, watching me swat at it with the lid. I had two doors open, but he never headed to either of them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Shine the bat symbol into the night sky. Someone will come to your aid.

Reply to
herlihyboy

can bats SEE???

I thought they were blind and used sound radar?

Mark

Reply to
Mark

they can only see the bat symbol, that, and bat pussy

those two things they can see

Reply to
yeeha

Are SURE it's a bat? Recently my bank had one. They called the building bat-removal technician. Before the janitor arrived, though, the whole thing turned out to be a false alarm; the "bat" was a bank vice president.

Reply to
HeyBub

tenplay wrote in news:m_- dnW0lcZQ6o2jZnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You don't know how lucky you are!!!

Do you know how many guys would love to have the old bat hanging from a 12 ft stairwell?!

Reply to
Al Bundy

All joking aside..bats carry rabies..not good if you are bitten.

The outside light draws insects, bats like insects, don't know if they see them, smell them, or find them with their radar, but it works!

Reply to
Andy & Carol

you've heard the expression blind as a bat

bats are completely blind

they use sonar

or is it radar

hmmm, not sure...

they use radar, we used to throw rocks up in the air and watch the bats chase the rocks to the ground

one time, I threw the rock up and it came down and went through the back glass of my moms chevy malibu... just a small hole... I thought she might not even notice it for a while.

but then little cracks started spreading throughout the glass... in 2 mins, the whole back glass was a milky web of cracks...

ooops

Reply to
sosexyithurts

Actually, bats CAN see. They use echolocation to supplement their vision in the dark.

Andy & Carol wrote:

Reply to
jah213

Thanks for all the suggestions. Haven't seen the bat since that evening. Guess all it wanted was some attention from alt.home.repair. I suppose it went out of the house the same way it got in. We just had some siding replaced on the exterior of the house last week. I wonder if the repair opened up a gap through which the bat could enter.

Reply to
tenplay

" snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

I can read minds. I use torture and drugs to supplement this:-)

Reply to
Al Bundy

Naw...He is there, probably lurking behind the drapes, waiting for your wife put her hand behind them, then he flies out and scares the hell out of her!

Reply to
Andy & Carol

Been there, had that happen! My most startling bat encounter was right after I moved last year. Late in the evening, I unpacked a box of iced-tea glasses that needed to be washed before putting them away. I decided to set them aside for washing the next morning.

Next day, I noticed from across the room that one of the glasses in the lineup had something brown in the bottom. Thinking it must be a wadded-up piece of packing paper, I started to reach in, and abruptly realized there was a nose-down bat in the glass.

The bat was dead, and to this day I am still wondering what it was doing in that glass. Did it perch on the edge, die, and fall in? Die in the air and randomly tumble in? Fly in nose-first and die because it couldn't get back out? In retrospect, I probably should have taken it to the health department (bat rabies has been confirmed in my county, as in most counties in my state), but at the time I just put it in the garbage can.

Jo Ann

Andy & Carol wrote:

Reply to
jah213