Getting Rid of Ants

Any advise on getting rid of ants?

We have a large lawn, and it is completely infested by ants (both black ants and little red ones). (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I tried powder (Wilson AntKiller Dust) and the ant-traps, but that didn't seem to do anything. I also live in a forested area. Any advise?

Thanks,

Joe

Reply to
julvr

I got liquid ant bait from

for the ants in my trailer. Havn't seen them since then. I don't know if that kind of stuff works outdoors.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

In article , john.ulvr@terayon-dot- com.no-spam.invalid says... :) Any advise on getting rid of ants? :) :) We have a large lawn, and it is completely infested by ants (both :) black ants and little red ones). (I live in Ottawa, Ontario). I :) tried powder (Wilson AntKiller Dust) and the ant-traps, but that :) didn't seem to do anything. I also live in a forested area. Any :) advise? :) :) Thanks, :) :) Joe :) :) Unless they are biting/stinging varieties, is there a real need to do anything? You might put what ever is available in Canada as a residual around the perimeter of the home to help keep nuisance ants out.

Reply to
Lar

snipped-for-privacy@terayon-dot-com.no-spam.invalid (julvr) wrote in news:429229c5$1 snipped-for-privacy@alt.athenanews.com:

Be happy you don't have fire-ants!

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Been using this mixture for 3 years and it works better than any store bought ant poison I have ever used. I have given this recipe to at least

10 people and they are amazed how well it worked for them. Hardest part is letting the ants do their thing till the poison starts working.

Good luck

Jimbo

Ant recipe:

ANT RECIPE

From CBC "Radio Noon" phone-in

This recipe will give you an ant "trap" that will feed a poison (to ants, not people) to an ant nest, wiping out the whole colony. It is better than many, since it's not highly toxic to humans.

Ingredients:

2 c boiling water

6 tbs. granulated sugar

1 tsp. boric acid (ask your druggist)

cotton balls

empty plastic yogurt tub, or the like

Method:

1) Make up the liquid solution, let it cool.

2) Punch a series of holes near the bottom of the yogurt container, so the ants will be able to get in and out.

3) Saturate enough cotton balls in the liquid to cover the bottom of the container.

4) Place the saturated balls in the container, and put on the lid, so flies etc. won't get in.

5) Place this container somewhere near a path the ants travel.

6) Reserve excess liquid in the refrigerator to periodically moisten the cotton balls.

How it works:

The ants, attracted by the sugar, take the syrup back to the ant hill. The boric acid eventually kills the whole colony. It takes 2 to 3 weeks. This works better than faster-acting poisons that some ants may learn too quickly to avoid.

You may find ants continue to visit and feed at this trap throughout the summer. Be assured that they are coming from ant hills that are progressively farther and farther away.

Try peanut butter instead if they don't agressively take sugar

bait--apparently depends upon whether the ants are craving mainly protein

or carbohydrates.

Perhaps a mix of the two.......

Reply to
Jimbo

Is it okay to leave the container out in the rain, since it is covered?

Reply to
Bonnie

Yes as long as the small holes are not to close to the bottom of the container. If your worried about them blowing around just put some 2 sided tape on the bottonm or something heavy inside with the cotton balls.

Good luck and be patient

Reply to
Jimbo

Why in hell do you want to get rid of ants in a lawn? Birds? Rain? Trees? Butterflies? Earthworms?

Reply to
Norminn

There are areas in my lawn where the hills are a real eyesore. I think they are good to aerate the soil but there are a few areas that are really infested.

Reply to
Bonnie

One of the granular "ant-icides" scattered around the particular den areas would help locally (and temporarily).

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The recipe I gave works to kill the entire nest and from what I have read that can be up to100 feet from where you see the ants in and around your home. My son had large ants all over his porch about 10 days ago and he put out the bait and now there gone and apparently the bait isn't harmful to animals or childen. Anyone that thinks ants are just a nuisance hasn't seen the damage Carpenter ants can do if left unchecked.

Jimbo

Reply to
Jimbo

You may have had success w/ the boric acid baits, but I've not had similar luck...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Since carpenter ants prefer damp/rotted wood, the damage is already done when they move in. Often go into termite tunnels, too.

Reply to
Norminn

I am fortunate enough to have the tiny ants. I do see carpenter ants occasionally but this is definitely a small ant problem. I am definitely going to try the recipe. I'd love to minimize these little buggers. I also have a termite inspection every two years...since I am paranoid about it. So far, so good.

Bonnie

"Norminn" wrote > Since carpenter ants prefer damp/rotted wood, the damage is already done

Reply to
Bonnie