Getting Portable hottub, do I need to reinforce the deck?

Hi, Im considering gettting a portable hot tub something like this one:

It would be placed on my wooden deck, which is original with the house, about 20 years old but looks to be in good shape. I'm trying to figure out if I need to reinfirce the deck. I could put in another concrete foor right under where the hot tub would be, but i'm trying to figure out if it is necessary, any ideas? Thanks.

Reply to
Sir.M.Messervy

Water is approximately 8# per gallon. Take weight of tub and add the weight of water when filled. That's how much weight your deck needs to hold.

Then look at joist system: joist size and length.

Figure out how much weight can be supported per sq ft.

A tub of water is much weight.

Reply to
franz fripplfrappl

have a county zone and or safety inspector come out and inspect the deck. It's highly unlikely that it'll be able to withstand that much weight unless the deck is directly on the ground.

"Looks to be in good shape" isn't good enough if it breaks with people either in it or under it.

Like electiricty, this isn't something you want to "kinda hope you go right".

Reply to
01dyna