Getting old is no fun

Page 6 of 6
On 2/23/2016 7:21 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

No, they just didn't like YOU, Pete! :>
(PeteCresswell) posted for all of us...

I don't know if it's what Don Y posted but I find that's true of many places. They don't like their boss; doesn't have any field experience; doesn't have a clue what they are doing. They see the inside as the source of problems or see things that don't make sense to them. Or they like being outside, it's what they are equipped for and used to.
--
Tekkie

Uncle Monster posted for all of us...

How else can they sell buses and Athletic Dept's?
I used to walk 2.4 miles (uphill both ways) to the elementary school. Supposedly the limit was 2 miles. Didn't bother me.
Now the kids are driven by the parent to the end of the driveway and if not picked up within 5 minutes call the bus dispatcher and ream them out.
"It's for the kids"
--
Tekkie

On 2/24/2016 3:14 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

I walked about the same distance to high school, but it was uphill only one way. Going home we had to go down that slippery slope.
On school days it was always raining with 40 mph winds too.
On 2/22/2016 1:02 PM, KenK wrote:

Climbing on the roof is one and another doing extensive plumbing under the sink or the like. Put a new cabin air filter in my car last year and having to find the 10 or so screws to get out the glove compartment and crawling under the dash to remove the filter, I almost could not do whereas I had done it several times in the past.
Wish I had all this home repair knowledge when I was younger and could have used it.

Wow.
I was upside down under the dash two days ago, a warm day, to disconnect the key-in switch, to stop the darn buzzing, and that night, my side hurt a lot. Still hurt last night. Never happened before, and I coudlnt' even find the switch.

LOL
On 02/22/2016 07:54 PM, Micky wrote:

Doing the under the dash yoga hurt when I was 20...
Hi Frank,
On 2/22/2016 5:39 PM, Frank wrote:

My office is set up as three "tables" in a large "U" shape. All of my computers are located *under* the tables (on the floor) with monitors, keyboards, mice and other I/O devices cluttering the top.
This is great -- cuz it gives me that much more surface to use for these devices, books, note pads, etc.
However, with each passing year, I find it harder to service the machines! The machines are about 3 feet from anything that connects to them (because the table is about 3 feet off the floor!). So, there's not a lot of slack in the cords that run up to the top of the table!
As a result, I can't really pull the machines out (forward) to work on them -- the cables effectively lock them in place. And, to get at the connections on the back of each means crawling UNDER the tables and poking around behind them (without moving them).
Of course, that means crawling OVER any other equipment that is located alongside! (other computers, printers, UPS's, etc.)
I don't think about any of this -- UNTIL I'm halfway under the table wondering why my body no longer "bends that way"! :<

Years ago I bought one of these:
<(Amazon.com product link shortened)> http://tinyurl.com/hse5o7m
You have to leave enough slack in the wiring to be able to move the stand.
--
Dan Espen

On 2/22/2016 9:14 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

Yes, the slack is the problem!
E.g., my two primary workstations are at the "inner corners" of the "U"-shaped worksurface. But, each feeds the *three* monitors along that bottom loop of the "U". So, the workstation on the left has to feed monitors 1, 2, and 3 (left to right) over the span of about 4 feet. The workstation on the right feeds monitors 3, 2 and 1 (right to left) over the same 4 foot span.
Monitor connections are about a foot above the level of the worksurface and pulled slightly forward. Computers are ~2.5 feet below. So, you've used the entire length of a 6 ft cable just to go "point-to-point" from each machine to its monitors. Try to pull the computer out a foot and you find your cable is short by that foot! :-/
And that ignores any other connections (SCSI, USB, serial, parallel, power, network) that might be associated with the machine(s).
[It's a veritable jungle of wires under there!]
On Monday, February 22, 2016 at 10:35:44 PM UTC-5, Don Y wrote:

think extension cables. they work well
On 2/23/2016 8:27 PM, bob haller wrote:

Many interfaces have limits on just how far they can be "extended" and still function properly (or, at the desired speed/bandwidth).
E.g., SCSI3 cables are limited to 3m total length -- this includes ALL of the cable in the link (including any wire INSIDE an enclosure). It is also very sensitive to faults in the cable, impedance "bumps" at each connector interface (so, inserting an "extension" -- if they even make such a beast -- adds two more bumps to the signal path).
USB has a ~5m limit (I use almost 4m of that for my scanners) so extending those means using an *active* extender. If you are delivering POWER to the peripheral over that interface, then you also have to consider voltage drops in the line.
DVI cables running 1600x1200@60 are theoretically limited to about *1* meter.
Other issues apply to specific peripherals on specific interfaces. So, it's not just extending a POWER cable...

My good friend is 79 years old and was in great shape until 2 weeks ago (5 years ago he was still carrying around, erecting, and climbing a 20 foot fiberglass extension ladeer.) His father lived to 93, his mother almost 100, wore high heels until she was 93.
But in the snow he stopped to help someone push his car out. Hurt his shoulder, but still went to work for two days. Pain bad, doctor said rotator cuff damaged. Physical therapy did something and now his neck and back hurts. Saw him today, after the chiropractor, he could barely walk, drooling from some pain medicine.
All from the car which belonged to a stranger.
On 2/22/2016 8:58 PM, Micky wrote:

My MIL is 90, and she's just now starting to slow down a bit.

A few years ago I had pain in my right rotator cuff, and it seemed like it would never stop hurting. But, luckily, after about 2 years of babying it, it finally healed up and doesn't hurt any more.

I've hurt my back several times and chiropractors did their thing for me. The last time I picked up a laundry basket that turned out to be heavier than I expected it to be and felt something in my low back object. It hurt so badly that I thought I had done something really serious to it because I could barely walk. I ended up in the chiropractors office every day for a week, and he adjusted my back each day and had me walking comfortably after the 2nd adjustment. I was able to get on a plane at the end of the week to go to my daughters wedding out of town, but I had strict orders that I wasn't allowed to life anything and to see him again when I got back to finish up the treatments. After that incident, I'm really careful about lifting stuff.

--
Maggie

On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 23:30:09 -0600, Muggles

Glad you made the weddding. My friend has international airplane tickets for next month. He has travel insurance though.

Good luck.

On 2/24/2016 11:09 AM, Micky wrote:

Thanks, Micky. Hope you're doing well these days.
--
Maggie