Getting old is no fun

I know a lot of "seniors" who THINK they cant do a lot of stuff anymore. I'm in that same age group. I dont ACT OLD. We all have a choice. We can ACT OLD, or ACT YOUNG. I have a few health issues, but I will continue to ACT YOUNG, and enjoy life till the day I drop dead.
I know far too many seniors who seem to spend most of their lives thinking about nothing but health, medications, aches and pains, and let doctors rule their lives. It's like those commercials on ME-TV. I love their programs, in fact thats about all I even watch on TV these days, but their commercials are horrid. 95% of them are about illness, medications, funerals, life insurance, and other thngs that society wants seniors to spend all their time thinking about. They have the absolute worst and most depressing commercials of any tv station. But we must all realize that the bottom line is that they want out money. Doctors and Insurance companies will take every last cent we have, if we let them.
Personally, I tell them all to "get fucked". I wont give one cent to a life insurance company, and while I will go to a doctor when I am really sick, I avoid seeing them the rest of the time. I'm tired of hearing "at your age, you need all these tests". Fuck their tests. As long as I'm still moving, I'll keep moving, rather sitting in their waiting rooms, so they can tell me everything wrong with me, and end their discussion by saying "it's part of aging, but if you take all these poisons (drugs), we'll keep you alive for many more years".
I've told many doctors EXACTLY where to shove their poison drugs.... (which most of the time the side effects are 10x worse than what they are supposed to cure).

Getting old is definitely not for sissies.
But it beats the alternative...
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/22/2016 2:39 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I plan to live forever. So far, so good...
On 2/22/2016 4:52 PM, Don Y wrote:

FWIW, https://www.ssa.gov/OACT/population/longevity.html I use to consider the price difference when I bought something with a warranty, now I include the odds of me outliving the warranty.
On 2/22/2016 6:21 PM, My 2 Cents wrote:

I turned down extended warranty on my new car last week but now see that maybe I should have gotten it. OTOH, I've heard that that average person can't drive the last 5 years of their life, so it would have been close.
High school classmate bought a new car last year but then his doctor said he could not drive anymore.
Looking at last summers reunion picture for our all boys school, out of 35 attendees, I see 3 in wheel chairs and two with canes. There are also a couple with the look of suffering a stroke and one I know of with Alzheimer's.
Per My 2 Cents:

I no longer buy the green bananas.
--
Pete Cresswell

The odds on that are not bad. Only between 1/2 and 3/4 of those who have ever lived have died. So your odds of dying are between 1/2 and 3/4.

I think I got 20 or 25 year shingles when I re-roofed my house about 10 years ago. This means I'll have to reroof again when I'm 80 . If' I'd thought to get the 30 year shingles, I'd probably be out of here before then.

That's why I only buy one year subscriptions to magazines, one year memberships, etc.
On 2/23/2016 11:01 AM, KenK wrote:

You know you've "accepted the inevitable" when you stop checking the dates on BREAD!! :>
Per Don Y:

Isn't that what the guy said halfway down after jumping off the Brooklyn bridge?
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/22/2016 5:47 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

And, he was 100% convinced of it for the first 103 feet...
KenK wrote:

Poor baby ! I've been laying block and spent today capping the cellar wall with concrete . I'll have to finish the concrete when the rain that's coming blows on through ... then it's time for some carpentry .
--
Snag

On 2/22/2016 5:32 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Neighbor from my youth put a new roof on his home (including carrying all the squares up the ladder on his back) -- when he was *81*.
On Mon, 22 Feb 2016 19:25:01 -0700, Don Y

Some of us old geezers are still pretty spry. I put the chambers in my septic tank field, shoveled in 3 yards of gravel and another 4 yards of fill about 2 months ago.
Don Y wrote:

I'm not quite there yet , but hope to be spry enough to still be ridin' the Harley at that age . Just turned 64 last week , and I have no serious health issues . That's probably due mostly to quitting smoking 11 years ago ... I do have my share of aches and pains , mostly from a dissipated youth - which I still haven't outgrown . I figger that I'll be able to keep doin' as long as I keep doin' , if that makes any sense . My next task in this construction project is to dig holes to pour footings for support columns for the kitchen . I got a new shovel today just for this task ...
--
Snag

On 2/22/2016 8:10 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I was amazed at how much more strenuous *digging* is than walking! E.g., I can walk (at a brisk pace) for an hour and my heart will return to its nominal 66 bpm in a matter of 10-20 seconds. OTOH, dig for two minutes and it's hammering away!
Per Don Y:

I avoid digging and shoveling snow. Both are just too far outside of my accustomed exertion window.
Guy I used to work with went outside one night to dig a drainage ditch around the house because of severe rain.
Wife found the body next day...
--
Pete Cresswell

All things considered, not a bad way to go.
--
Dan Espen

On Tuesday, February 23, 2016 at 9:06:52 AM UTC-6, net cop wrote:

...if he fell in the ditch...another problem solved.