Getting old is no fun

Don Y wrote in news:nag3a4$oem$1@dont- email.me:

I almost did that a few months ago. In the dark I hit the corner of a kitchen cabinet door right above my eye. Down an inch...

I try to keep the doors closed but I still forget sometimes.

Reply to
KenK

Don Y wrote in news:nag2ko$lur$1@dont- email.me:

I do about 20 minutes usually six times a week. I could go longer but it's boring. I can't tell that it helps much but it might.

Reply to
KenK

Don Y wrote in news:nagnl5$h9o$1@dont- email.me:

That's why I do my walking at 8:30 AM. Before it gets hot. I don't walk to any particular destination - just walk for the exercise.

Reply to
KenK

My 2 Cents wrote in news:nag553$j51$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

That's why I only buy one year subscriptions to magazines, one year memberships, etc.

Reply to
KenK

Snow is problematic for several reasons:

- WET snow (slush) is just too damn heavy! Couple that with the size of most snow shovels and it's backbreaking (and heart-stopping) work!

- dry snow (powder) is light -- often too light and blows off the shovel in brisk winds -- but it's still up-and-down, up-and-down... lower back abuse

- inevitably, snow is accompanied by an underlayer of ice. This makes keeping your footing difficult. And, means you have to CHOP ICE to complete the job.

- it's cold when you're shoveling; you're bundled up so you're PERSPIRING from the exertion while your exposed skin is FREEZING. Easy to overheat.

- snow *needs* to be cleared "now"; it's not like you can spread the job out over several days! By contrast, I can dig a ditch for an irrigation line over the course of WEEKS, if I so choose! (when I dug out the last tree stump, the front yard looked like an archeological excavation for 6 full months!)

Reply to
Don Y

+1

My grandfather "woke up dead". I'm sure grandmother wasn't keen to find herself lying next to a stiff. But, that was

*it* -- over and done with.
Reply to
Don Y

Simple solution. My neighbors probably think I'm nuts, but after our recent snowstorm I went out and shoveled in a tee shirt. It was well below freezing, but you don't want to get wet in the cold. Moving around keeps you warm.

Reply to
Dan Espen

You know you've "accepted the inevitable" when you stop checking the dates on BREAD!! :>

Reply to
Don Y

When I walk, I grab one of my PMP's -- depending on what sort of mood I'm in. Usually something with a fast "beat" so it's not competing with my pace.

Then, occupy my mind playing sudoku or just brainstorming whatever project I'm engaged with.

Reply to
Don Y

I'm not fond of AM -- unless it's like 4AM (just before bed). Instead, I aim for very late hours in Spring/Fall -- nighttime hours in Summer. Winter is the only time when the temps are comfortable enough during the middle of the day -- but the Sun is very intense.

Reply to
Don Y

I think the goal is to just get your body moving and startle your circulatory system ("Hey! What's he doing???").

I've also started doing sets of 2 minute planks at night to strengthen "core".

Reply to
Don Y

That;s probably true.

OTOH, I always thought that the little "scooter" (power chairs) would be dog slow, etc. Had to repair one for a non-profit. Took it for a test drive and nearly ran folks over with it! Damn fast!

Apparently, they come in different "speed grades". The chair I had repaired would do 6MPH! Makes me wonder how folks can navigate INDOORS without punching holes through walls...

Reply to
Don Y

My achilles heel is the upper cabinet door on the linen closet in my bathroom. Go to stand up (from the Throne) and it always wacks me in the top of my head! I keep forgetting to keep it CLOSED... :<

Reply to
Don Y

I did that for our last two snowfalls -- I think one was 5 years ago, the other closer to 12 (?)

Reply to
Don Y

The wife wasn't speaking to the old guy so didn't realize he hadn't come back in untill she went to cuss him out at breakfast and he wasn't there?

Reply to
clare

0F with 45 MPH winds you don't go out and shovel in a tee shirt!!!
Reply to
clare

Per Dan Espen:

Long time ago, I flew out to Albuquerque NM for a job interview at the local electric company.

Seemed like most of the linemen were Native Americans.

I noticed that they showed a noticeable distaste for coming into the main office building where I was hanging out for the interview/tour of the facility.... they'd stand outside while whoever on the crew just

*had* to go inside to do whatever had to be done.
Reply to
(PeteCresswell)

No, they just didn't like YOU, Pete! :>

Reply to
Don Y

Try chopping ice off the windshield of a car at -26F with a windchill of -83!

Reply to
Don Y

A guy I taught with some 40 years ago used to work on the DEW line - in the deep freeze of the far north they used 3 ton trucks to carry half ton loads to keep from breaking springs, and breaking grader blades in half was a common occurrence while maintaining the ice roads. They had quick couplers on the cooling systems of all the engines so they could plug a "hot" engine onto a cold one to warm it enough to get it started.

Reply to
clare