Getting old is no fun

Page 3 of 6

Yeah, a little while back I fell and dislocated my pinkie and messed up the 2 adjacent fingers. Fortunately I found I could still swim and I think the hand will fully recover.

Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about. You both need more exercise. If you can walk, you can run.
--
Dan Espen

On 2/22/2016 2:48 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I think starting off from "active" works in your favor.

I'm not sure running is good. It places more stress on the knees. Normally, your knee (singular) sees half your weight. Walking, it experiences your full weight for brief instants (as your weight shifts from both legs to one, then back to both). Running, it sees 150% of your weight. And, it's a more jarring application of that weight.
When I first started walking, MD was preaching "30 minutes, 3 times a week".
"I walk 3.8 miles" "Yeah, but how FAST do you walk?" (avg is 3MPH) "4.0 MPH" (i.e. ~1 hour) "Yeah, but how often?" "On average, 5 days a week -- 19 miles per week" (at that time)
(pause)
"Well, it would be better if you could do *20*..."
(Keep in mind, no less than 60 seconds earlier he was preaching "30 minutes, 3 times a week". Now, I'm telling him I do *60* minutes *5* times a week... and he's trying to get a little bit more! I just gave him my best "stare of disbelief" until he turned beet red -- clear up into his scalp...)

Interesting comments.
Yes, starting off healthy is a huge advantage.
I still recommend running. Mainly because you are outside covering ground, and if you're walking 3.8 miles, who knows you might be able to run a half mile. At the end, you'll have pumped up your muscles with blood, and accelerated all your bodily functions like heart, lungs, blood flow.
Unless walking makes you breath hard, I think you should speed up.
I wouldn't run more than a 2 miles at a time. Running is too rough on the body (knees, feet). Find something else if you want more exercise.
You'll do more good and it won't take so long.
Of course, my opinion, but I feel like it worked for me. A while back I was just walking because my feet hurt. Graduated to running, got back into lifting, currently on a 3 year swimming binge.
--
Dan Espen

On 2/22/2016 6:40 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I have to walk a fine line regarding outdoor exercise.
I have *lots* of seasonal allergies. And, live in a place where *something* is ALWAYS in bloom. The pollen charts just show one species peaking -- then giving way to another, etc. -- all year 'round!
So, my lungs are often struggling to purge these inhaled "irritants" (apparently, folks with allergies are predisposed to things like asthma).
On top of this, I'm always trying to find the sweet spot regarding outdoor conditions: I'm not keen on walking when the Sun is high and it's 110F! I'll be *in* the sun for that entire time (esp if I'm walking to library, post office, etc.). And, not keen on having to carry water to stay hydrated (No fanny pack, thankyouverymuch!).
At the other extreme, if the air is too cool (and terribly DRY), it irritates my lungs. I feel like I want to scratch them for relief.
So, this leaves me with a narrow window to hit -- that I have to mesh with my sleep/wake/work cycle. I.e., if I'm asleep at the best time to walk... <shrug>
If I miss that window, I *drive* the mile to the local park and walk their indoor track (no advantage to walking their OUTDOOR track!). But, this is INCREDIBLY boring!
Around and around and around and around and...
Also kind of embarassing as I tend to walk much faster than the other folks on the track. Especially those that are STRUGGLING to walk at all! So, I'm constantly overtaking them: "Excuse me", "Coming around on your left", etc.

Per Don Y:

During warm weather I tend to bike - but not on roads.
During cold weather the solution that has proven itself to me over a number of years has been a PreCor Model 100 elliptical machine plus music at the local Y.
I specify Make/Model because I find other elliptical machines to be severely wanting by comparison.
In fact, before I discovered this thing I thought elliptical machines were for wimps - that *real* men used the StairMaster...even had a StairMaster knockoff in my garage.
But this elliptical machine gives me the most elevation in heart rate with the least perceived exertion of anything I have ever done. It's like swimming standing up.
Couldn't do it without music (or, maybe TV or a book)... but I have music and the pleasure outweighs the pain long term.
--
Pete Cresswell

Hi Pete,
On 2/23/2016 7:05 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

There aren't many options here that don't involve roads -- without "taking a drive". We can bike along the "wash network" but it would be a leisurely stroll as you'd be biking amongst folks walking (like on a sidewalk).
The city tends to be bike friendly. But, that doesn't mean the *drivers* are! And, with most roadways 4 or 6 lanes, left turns get to be a real hassle -- you either turn from the innermost lane (and find yourself trapped against the median after the turn, trying to "get right" across a couple of lanes of traffic), or turn from a "middle lane" (rightmost left turn lane) and hope you don't get clipped by through traffic while you wait to cross.
Most of the pro/semi-pro bicyclists who train here gain protection by traveling in "packs" -- effectively occupying an entire traffic lane! Hard to do that with one bike...

Excellent! I will try to track one down! I've been considering buying something so I'm not governed by weather, time of day, etc. with my exercising (walking). But, know too many pieces of equipment that get bought then become dust magnets.

For me, the advantage to a machine is that I could rest a book on the handlebars -- not possible to read while walking otherwise (the book bounces around too much).
The problem with exercise (and diet and other lifestyle choices) is that the costs tend to be deferred -- until a point where you can't recoup your losses. OTOH, the (apparent) "savings" are immediate: "I can enjoy this unnutritional -- but tastey -- meal RIGHT NOW!"
(sigh)
Time to load the car...
Per Don Y:

Have you tried music?
Probably not for everybody, but for me it introduces a feelgood factor.
Books/TV, OTOH, just distract me from the effort - not a bad thing - but music actually enhances the sensation.
--
Pete Cresswell

On 2/23/2016 9:44 AM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

When I walk, I grab one of my PMP's -- depending on what sort of mood I'm in. Usually something with a fast "beat" so it's not competing with my pace.
Then, occupy my mind playing sudoku or just brainstorming whatever project I'm engaged with.
email.me:

That's why I do my walking at 8:30 AM. Before it gets hot. I don't walk to any particular destination - just walk for the exercise.
On 2/23/2016 10:51 AM, KenK wrote:

I'm not fond of AM -- unless it's like 4AM (just before bed). Instead, I aim for very late hours in Spring/Fall -- nighttime hours in Summer. Winter is the only time when the temps are comfortable enough during the middle of the day -- but the Sun is very intense.
email.me:

I do about 20 minutes usually six times a week. I could go longer but it's boring. I can't tell that it helps much but it might.
On 2/23/2016 10:48 AM, KenK wrote:

I think the goal is to just get your body moving and startle your circulatory system ("Hey! What's he doing???").
I've also started doing sets of 2 minute planks at night to strengthen "core".
On 2/22/2016 1:22 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

One of the different things I throw in about every other day are the core exercises my husband got from the physical therapist after his spine surgery. They are relatively simple to do, but I can tell the difference
I do walk a lot. With my knees running is out of the question. We hike a lot, kayak, and engage in winter sports as well.
Per SeaNymph:

Maybe the most important thing I have learned in 50+ years of obsessive physical conditioning: The Pleasure Has Got To Exceed The Pain.
I tell people that they can put up with exercise being unpleasant for awhile - and they will inevitably have to when starting out or re-starting after a break.... but in the long run they have to find something where they can feel more pleasure from it than discomfort.
Different strokes for different folks... but each person has to be aware that they must keep searching/trying to adapt.
--
Pete Cresswell

Good point.
With straight, really good exercise like weight lifting, the exercise itself will feel punishing. Not good.
Things like running have some payoff, you're outside seeing scenery go by but it's still hard. Can't say why I find swimming so much fun. I like perfecting strokes and turns.
I've always found increasing muscle mass or tone a delayed pleasure. You have to balance short term pain against long term rewards. I imagine there is some point in old age where you stop getting stronger but I haven't reached it yet.
--
Dan Espen

Hi Dan,
On 2/22/2016 6:53 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

I always liked the sensation of gliding through the water then doing a flip at the end and headed back the other way.
But, you need a LONG pool (olympic size) to not end up spending all your time turning! Here, that means a public pool <frown>
Swimming, for me, also had the same advantage of walking: that it becomes mindless and you can free your mind to think about other things while your body keeps up the rhythm. You can even (almost!) "turn off your eyes" in each case to free up that much more of your consciousness.
By contrast, I found diving to be very intense -- demainding lots of attention.

I'd still prefer having a clone who could spend the TIME exercising (and, somehow, transfer its benefits to me!)

Agreed.

Bummer. In town we have an aquatic club. Indoor swimming all year round. There's a big health club with a pool nearby too. Both have Olympic sized pools.

In my youth I spent most of my time in the pool diving. I was on a team at the Y then at HS.
Now I think I did too much diving and should have worked at swimming more. Today it's hard to find a place with a diving board.

I keep reading about how a muscle growing pill is in the works.
--
Dan Espen

On 2/22/2016 9:10 PM, Dan Espen wrote:

We have similar places. And, local "parks" (e.g., there's such a pool a mile from here, as the crow flies). I'm just not keen on having to share with kids with dirty diapers, etc.
[I don't let folks swim in my toilet, either! :> ]

For me, it was just a requirement in Boy Scouts (the "Swimming" and "Lifesaving" merit badges). It's an ... "interesting"... experience to *fly* upwards without fear of the fact that you *will* come crashing down (into *water*).

I never saw swimming as exercise (aerobic) but, rather, relaxing (get into the pool and "soak", glide through the water, etc.). E.g., much prefer side/back/breast to crawl -- they let you "coast" for a while and feel like you're floating/gliding; crawl always felt like you couldn't stop... like flapping your wings lest you fall out of the sky!

I want just enough strength to handle the basics of living. I don't need to impress anyone with the fact that I can lift/press N pounds.
I am more concerned with maintaining dexterity/range of motion. And, keenly aware of the prevalence of essential tremor and parkinsonian tremor as age increases. I've relied on fine motor control for most of my career; the potential for losing it (or compromising it) is... "disturbing". :<
Per Dan Espen:

I have found that, with strength training, there is room to make it at least neutral while actually doing the reps - and pleasurable afterwards as the pump sets in. I'm not saying it's the greatest thing in the world, but it's something I can deal with 2x per week for a half hour to supplement the 1 hour cardio I do on the other days.
--
Pete Cresswell

Hi Pete,
On 2/22/2016 5:46 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

I don't find anything "pleasurable" about exercising (walking). I don't find anything pleasurable about flu shots, either! :>
Rather, I see this as part of being responsible (to myself). Like "eating your vegetables" (instead of JUST the iced cream).
So, I try to "con" myself into rationalizing the JOB performed by the exercise. E.g., it's 2.4 miles (IIRC) to the local library branch "via the back trails" (longer in a vehicle). So, rather than spending 10-12 minutes driving that distance, parking the car, etc. I will walk there (40 minutes -- it's uphill). The 5 or 10 minutes I spend there gives me a chance to rest up, a bit (as well as rehydrate -- I tend not to carry water with me... bad!) before making the walk back home.
So, 80 minutes to cover 4.8 miles -- instead of the 56 minutes that I would have put in normally for the 3.8 miles. But, it has only "cost" me 56-60 minutes (discounting the time it would have taken me to drive it!). Feels like I "got a bargain"... :<
It's a comparable distance to the post office (walk to mail a letter; stop by the grocery store and buy a few items for the trip back).
Even my MD's office (3 miles each way).
The tough walks are when it's raining (I still go!).

You don't *have* to -- but, when you later complain about THIS ache and THAT pain... <shrug>