Getting insulation; they want chimney blocked

Hi,
Newbie here. I need some advice. I'm getting cavity wall insulation and loft insulation installed by a company on one of them grant schemes. However they've said they can only do it if our chimney is blocked off. Is that correct? It seems odd as friends and family i've spoken to have said this was never asked of them.
The chimney is in the middle of the property, the flue doesn't touch any external walls and runs straight through the loft.
The insulation people are coming in the next fortnight and i don't really want to bother with blocking up the chimney at the moment. I'd rather do it when i have more time. I just really want to get the loft and cavity wall insulation done and out of the way first.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
--
Prudo King

On 8/21/2012 12:34 PM, Prudo King wrote:

insulation and an apparent condition is that unused chimneys must be blocked. Likely the work will be inspected so why would the installer jeopardize their relationship with the government by taking your word that someday you will block the chimney.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:34:53 +0000, Prudo King

Is this an unused chimney? If so, it is part of the energy conservation program. Block it up or they can refuse to do the work.
Sounds like you are getting a freebies or a really low cost jobs so stop being an arrogant prick and follow the rules.

Very eloquent! However, you forgot the adjectives "free-loading, selfish" and possibly a few more.
On 8/21/2012 11:34 AM, Prudo King wrote:

Ask them to explain why they require this. It might have something to do with your particular installation. If you are still uncertain, call the administrator of the program and ask him or her if they require it, or if they have any idea why the contractor is requiring it. Speaking of which, does the contractor know you'll be getting this done under the program? If they are aware of that, they'll know their bid will come under scrutiny and be subject to approval by the program.
I took advantage of a similar home improvement program in my community. I, too, had additional insulation added to the walls and attic. The company never even mentioned the chimney.
On 8/21/2012 12:34 PM, Prudo King wrote:

Like somebody else suggested it's a major draft source. Doesn't matter if it touches a wall or not. If the wind blows, a draft will come into your home thru that chimney, and if it's not used there is no point in keeping it open.
It'd be counteractive to have an open chimney letting in draft yet having insulation added. The Government, for a change, wants to see they are not wasting money insulating your home...