Getting gas from my gas tank?

Page 2 of 2

I think all of the new cars have something installed at the end of the gas filler pipe, before the tank, to prevent siphoning. The hose won't go into the tank so you can not siphon at all. That was the case for my 2003 Camaro and I was told it was common practice.
We were just shopping for new cars and all of the ones we looked at had non-locking gas covers so maybe they are relying on these anti-siphon devices.
Reno wrote:

This guy had a very quick and slick siphon system going recently - until the cops caught him.
http://www.startribune.com/local/east/16798246.html
"...Storey, 34, is accused of concocting an elaborate system of hoses and switches that allowed him to siphon gasoline from another vehicle into his own, all from the comfort of the driver's seat of his shiny red Dodge Ram 1500 4x4.
All Storey had to do, authorities said, was pull alongside a vehicle, stick a hose in its gas tank, flip a switch under his dashboard to activate an auxiliary fuel pump, then sit back and wait.
Sheriff's officials demonstrated the siphoning device for reporters Tuesday at the Arden Hills patrol station. It took slightly less than 2 1/2 minutes to siphon 5 gallons from a gas can into the pickup truck. Authorities said it would take 6 to 8 minutes for Storey to steal the 20 gallons needed to fill his tank."

Why not just hijack a gas transport truck instead of screwing around with piss-ant hoses and cans hustling a few gallons.
On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 00:18:39 +0200 (CEST), Mark

If youve never heard of a 5 gallon gas can, You are mentally retarded.