Getting gas from my gas tank?

Page 1 of 2
I put the wrong sort of gasoline in my gas tank and I need a quick and easy way to get it out again.
I was thinking of trying to stick a length of garden hose into the tank and siphoning the gas out, but I am afraid that garden hose will be too bulky and unweildy. Are there hoses available that are less conspicuous?
What is the best sort of container for carrying gasoline? The bright red gas cans won't do, and I need something larger than a gallon, preferably something that is easily portable.
Thanks in advance for any replies.

if its a late model vehicle you cant easily get the fuel out. they are designed to be anti siphon
you will have to drop the tank and clean it out.........
what did you put in by mistake? if its say the wrong grade fill the tank with normnal fuel, sometimes the solution to pollution is dilution.
or disconnect the gas line near the engine and have the fuel pump likely in tank empty it out
on 7/16/2008 6:34 PM snipped-for-privacy@aol.com said the following:

Read the post again. Think outside the box this time. :-)
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

I heard you...
Bob, yes I can siphon gas from a late model vehicle. without your amount of work. Moments and your tank is empty.
on 7/16/2008 6:18 PM Mark said the following:

gasoline. Maybe even carry the eviden.. er, gas can away
--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Conspicuous? Are we trying to find the best way to steal gasoline?

Conspicuous and "carrying gasoline"--aren't they the same...(?) .

Drill through the tank and put an oil change pan underneath, or put a 50 gallon drum in a truck and use an electric pump, hopefully the spark from the drill ignite the gas and kill you.

Take the car to any well equipped repair shop and have the techs do the job. They will use an appliance called a 'Gas Buggy' which has its own pump,and storage. Bring a container if you want to keep the fuel. Otherwise, let the techs have it as a tip.
Joe

Wrong sort of gas?????

Wrong sort of gas?????
Yes, it is owned by someone else and he wants to make it his own.
meehan,
Happened to a friend of mine. He lent a car to his son (not a teen). His son while returning it stopped a couple of blocke from my friend's house and filled the tank. With Diesal. My friend had to tow the car to a mechanic who worked on it for about 1/2 hr. before he noticed that the "gas" did not smell right.
Dave M.

in that case,not only the tank must be emptied,but the fuel filter(s) replaced,lines,injectors and rail emptied and cleaned.It also may have damaged the fuel gauge sending unit in the tank.(Shell Oil had to pay out for replacing a lot of those because they put diesel into several gas stations underground fuel tanks.
A job for a mechanic.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

That was probably many years ago. The filler nozzle of a diesel pump will not fit into the neck of a gas car today.
Early 1950's my father used to get his gas from the company tank. One day a delivering driver dumped a tanker of diesel into the gas tank. He was able to keep going with only two filter cleanings (bronze filters back then) and diluting with more gas.

I think diesel pumps were separated by late 50's. There was still a kerosene pump. Even used a glass gallon jar. The two pumps moved away from the car pumps.... in that day.
Gas was about 32 cent...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

I forget if it was during the depression or around WWII, but my dad told me that when gasoline was rationed, he would run a 50/50 gasoline/kerosene mix in his car. Didn't run too, too bad, but smoked like all hell and the spark plugs tended to get fouled fast.
Tony

Yes and those Fordson tractors. Started on gasoline; engine warmed up then changed changed over to kerosene. Tractor had a double tank above the engine with a changeover valve. Also one time ran out of gas mowing the lawn with a 3.5HP Briggs and Stratton; ran out of gas, grabbed the nearest can which happened to have kerosene in it and refilled mower tank. Mower restarted no problem, being warm, I guess, and while it smoked a bit engine ran fine to finish mowing. IIRC never bothered to drain out any remaining kerosene; just filled up with new gas and next time mower ran fine. That mower lasted for many, many years after that.

Suck hard on the hose, maybe you will die, to all will benfit, a scumsuking RAT
I'm assuming you put low octane gas in a high octane vehicle. Just drive around normally, no harm done. Do not accelerate hard.