Getting Cold In Here

Page 2 of 2
On Sat, 23 Sep 2006 08:26:40 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@UNLISTED.com wrote:

Wrong. I've been shocked working with the 24v side of a heating and air system.

So if I send you a 24volt 40va transformer,,,,, you'll plug it in with one hand holding the frame and your thumb of that same hand across the 24V screws! :-)
**CAUTION** No one should try this as this as it only takes .001amps to stop the heart***(yes, I described the act above with dumb-ass safety protocol in mind.)
-zero
On Fri, 22 Sep 2006 10:30:25 -0400, Stubby

This is one of my pet peeves on this NG. Everyone knows that they can call a professional. so why do people even bother to post such a thing. The whole point of this NG is to find solutions for doing our own repairs. Yes, on occasion I have read someone doing something that does sound dangerous and have myself suggested they get a pro. But messing with a thermostat is definately not going to blow anything up. And for the record, calling a furnace pro will cost much more than a FEW bucks. They are not cheap. Homeowners should be able to do minor repairs, unless they are millionnaires.
For the OP. 1. make sure the breaker is turned ON for the furnace 2. Make sure the switch on, next to, or near the furnace is turned ON 3. be sure the thermostat is set to HEATING, not to AC. 4. turn the thermostat as high as it will go and see if the furnace lights. (turn it back down after). 5. If you have a programmable thermostat, set it to MANUAL or (on mine), it;s called HOLD. 6. As a last resort, remove the thermostat and either try a different one, or temporarily short the wires together if there are only 2 of them. 7. If you have any electrical knowledge, there is a transformer in the furnace that supplies 24 volts. A test meter can be helpful to see if there is voltage.

What type of thermostat? If it is a programmable one with a battery, it may be as simple as putting in a new battery. It may have just enough power for the display, but not enough to trip the contacts for heat. BTDT.

On mine, I have the feeling that the battery is only there to keep it from forgetting things if I turn off the AC power to the furnace/AC.
I have only changed the battery once in 24 years, and I think everything works fine as look as the power is on to the furnace.
Could that be the case, with my thermostat at least?
Thanks, folks. I will try all suggestions and will not open or mess with ANYTHING that I don't understand.

Please get back to us with the resolution. If we don't hear from you, we'll look in the newspapers for houses destroyed by gas explosions.

Indeed. When we read the newspapers we'll need to know if Fuzzy57 is your first name or last name. Perhaps your full name is F. Emerson Vanderbilt (where F. stands for Fuzzy57.)