Getting cats out of your yard

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (Greg) wrote in

first time I ever heard cats blamed for rat over-population. Generally,anything they catch is sick or distressed anyways. All my cat catches is lizards. I'd like to see a housecat catch a healthy squirrel or rabbit. Maybe immature ones.
The feral cats around here haven't gotten the squirrels,there's lots of them around.(the cats would rather raid the dumpsters)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

You don't get adult rabbits if the babies all get killed

Stop by sometime. My cat catches fully grown squirrels and leaves them on the steps as a present for me. She also catches a variety of other pests and treed a coon a couple of weeks ago. Good kitty.
Bob

Which brings me back to the rats. What do you think is going to eat the food the squirrels and other "pests" are not eating. One thing about nature is, it will always send something in to fill a void. Usually the survivor is worse than the original species. BTW my dog loves cats, they are so much fun to play with. There is the "throw it in the air and catch it" game, hold him down and lick him and the ever popular "shake it up baby"
BUT they have to come in my yard to play. I control my pet.
I'm waiting for my cat to take out that dog across the street that pees on my tires.
Good kitty.
Bob

Don't wait for that. Get a Fi-shock. Hook one wire up to the car. Hook up the ground wire. Wet the area down. If you can watch, it is hilarious. If not, you will probably be awakened in the middle of the night by a male dog that is headed back home and screaming his head off. A male dog that probably won't pee on ANY car tire for the rest of his life.
Steve

I would think a raccoon would handle a domestic cat easily. I guess it decided to wait out the cat instead of fight. I wonder why your cat did not go up the tree after the coon?
It sounds like a great hunter,though!
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net

Because the coon actually went up the post on the back porch. When I came out the back door, the cat was clawing at the coon's tail and I nailed that coon a direct hit with a 2 inch pipe square on his head. After weeks of messing around with that coon, it has finally decided my back porch is not a friendly place for coons. Haven't seen it since.
Bob
On Wed, 07 Jul 2004 20:00:23 GMT, "rck"

Cats can easily catch and kill a rabbit.
20 ga. 6-shot can easily kill a cat...and often has.
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
Trent wrote:

Some day bigger predator will eat your cat. Strong possibility. My neighborhood is full of koyotes. Unless you want to lose your cat for good, we don't dare with our three cats. Tony
I lived in Arizona for a few years and predators ate stray dogs and cats. Rattlesnake got the cat next door. Mountain lion got the dog. Here in the heavily populated east, the biggest predator for cats is the automobile. Many become road kill. Bob

On Thu, 08 Jul 2004 03:34:33 GMT, "rck"

And then chop suey! lol
Have a nice week...
Trent
What do you call a smart blonde? A golden retriever.
When my brother and I were much younger (kids, really, so no flames okay?) we hated the squirrels who would invaded our house. One fine day, my brother spotted one such critter on a nearby tree branch, just hanging out eating a nut. My brother, about 12 years old at that time, happened to be an expert wrist-rocket shooter (remember those?) and took aim from our stoop, about 10 yards away. Pulled it back as far as it would go and let loose. I tell you here and now -- that pellet, traveling a thousand miles an hour, hit the squirrel dead center, full in the belly and I can still hear the sound of "poof" hitting the fur. The squirrel did nothing. It stopped eating just for a moment while it stared at us, then continued munching as though nothing had happened. A cut of wind as the pellet pierced the air, a thud as it hit the belly at full-force, the dent clearly visible in the fur, and no reaction at all. It finished the nut and gingerly walked across a tree limb to find another, ignoring our feeble attempts. This shot would have seriously wounded any mere mortal man, easily blinding him or breaking skin and sending him to the hospital for stitches. We were stunned, and to this day recall that event as though it had some kind of divine intervention. Don't get me wrong, we still hate squirrels, but have come to the realization that they are protected by a force mightier than ours. :)
(Patscga) wrote:

Here's some factual information from the Audubon society regarding the impact of feral cats on wildlife:
http://www.audubon.org/local/cn/98march/nasr.html
Never much cared for cats. I've owned 3 dogs, though. Someone should start a thread on the idiots who let their dogs bark all hours of the night & day. Now I have been driven to near gun-play by that a time or 12, and I'm not referring to shooting someone's malamute ;-)
Dan

When I was a child the neighbor's dog would go woof-woof-woof, woof-woof-woof all night. One night it went woof-woof-bang. Never made another sound.
--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Oh, Texas. Many kinds of violence are legal there.

Depends where you live. In Tennessee a homeowner may "despatch" a stray in the manner of his choosing providing it does not cause undue pain or suffering. You can't light it on fire or spray it with caustic chemicals but you can knock it in the head or shoot it. It is illegal to despatch a known pet, i.e. cat with a flea collar or such. No flea collar, zappo.....
Bob
Two, Sixty pound dogs work for me!

Pepper works, but I've had better success with "Chinese chili oil" from the grocery store. As long as an oil won't hurt any plants in your yard. It's about 10 times hotter than Cayenne, right up there with Habanero sauce. RJ

rj wrote:

The vet told us to use a sqeeze lemon full of Tabasco sauce to make our English Sheep Dog stop barking. After awhile the dog developed a taste for it (like me!) and backed to get more.