Getting cash at ATM

Dunno if this is considered OT. Let's say you're getting money to pay for home repair

Here is a heads-up from David Horowitz, in the new Costco magazine.

"When sliding your card into the ATM, wiggle the card slot to make sure it is secure. (????)

This tests for "skimming" devices that can steal your card's unique data.

On most ATMs, a bright or flashing light will indicate that the card has been properly inserted and is secure. **

Only after the light flashes should you proceed.

When entering your PIN, cover the keypad to block prying eyes or cameras."

I'm assuming that Horowitz, who is a legit consumer advocate, and Costco, would not print alarmist garbazhe.

** I never noticed a flashing light at ATM. Am I just unobservant, or is this not always the case?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I too have NEVER seen a flashing light at a ATM

Reply to
bob haller

Yes, hard to believe. What would either of them get out of it anyhow?

I've never seen one. I use Bank of America, though I cna't recommend them. I charge things at stores, but I don't use other cash machines.

Here it is again,

but I think fightback is his website.

And here it is on Costco's site

But I haven't found much else.

Changed search terms from ATMs, a bright or flashing light

to ATM flashing light

and got

Excerpts: Rockville police said the device is ?identical? to one discovered Feb.

28 at an Alexandria Wachovia branch in the 3600 block of King Street. At least $60,000 was removed from accounts at that bank, Alexandria police have said.

But not all ATMs are alike, so sometimes the tipoff will be the exact opposite and the scammers will have attached a skimming device to the front of the ATM that blocks lights on machines where they are normally visible.

===>And it shows a picture of a green light surrounding the slot, which they say obscures the red light meant to protect you.

Many customers, he said, have a routine of using the same two or three machines and get a feel for how they appear even if they could not describe them fully.

Does your usual machine have flashing lights? Sit flush in the wall or extend out? Is the slot loose in the wall? Is a wire visible? Does the PIN keypad normally have buttons with colors for ?enter? and other prompts or keys that all are the same color? Is there or isn?t there usually a box -- with envelopes for deposits, for example -- mounted on a wall close to the screen and keypad?

Velline said most customers do have an instinct for when something is awry even if they cannot put their finger on exactly what looks suspicious to them. Trust that instinct and notify a branch manager when something at the ATM appears odd, he said.

Does this crime happen only at banks? No. It has occurred at gas pumps and other retail (point of sale) machines where you swipe a card and use a PIN.

Reply to
mm

[...]

I've seen flashing lights on ATM's but I never knew (or even considered) that they were to tell me that the card was "properly inserted and is secure".

I've seen ATM's with flashing green lights shaped like an "wide arrow" - \/ - pointing at the slot.

I never considered it to be anything more than an attention getting device but I also don't recall whether it looks any different before or after I insert my card.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"DerbyDad03" wrote

Reminds me of a girl I dated once . . . . . . . .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

never had an occasion to use an ATM. Don't see the need.

Reply to
Steve Barker

She had a green - \/ - when she flashed you? Ew!

Reply to
krw

" snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I think those flashing LEDS are to foil the installation of skimmers that crooks use to get your bankcard data. it's readily apparent if the LEDs are blocked by a skimmer covering the card slot..

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Too bad you don't feel the same way about usenet...

Reply to
Larry W

Aw, it's not the same. The only reaction I get from a new teller when I say I want a cashier's check denominated in Euros and I want to pay for it with Canadian dollars, is weeping, not pithy rejoinders.

That's no fun.

Reply to
HeyBub

No problem. Canadian to U$ (plus commission) then U$ to EUR (plus commission). Price in US, convert to Canadian (plus commission). Pay up wise guy! ;-)

Reply to
krw

f*ck off

Reply to
Steve Barker

I like having cash in my pocket for various reasons.

- The kids need/want some cash for some reason or another - We're buying subs for lunch at work - Chipping in for a gift or donation - etc.

That said, when I'm short on pocket cash I typically get "cash back" when I use my debit card to pruchase something.

However, there are times when I find myself with little or no cash but no need to go to the store. That's when the drive-through ATMs come in handy.

I also use drive though ATM's on the rare occasions that someone gives me a check (a rebate, a gift from Mom, healthcare reimbursement, etc) and I need to deposit it.

If I've used a teller more than a couple of times in the past few years I'd be surprised.

Many years ago, back in the early 70's, I worked for one of the first banks (not *the* first one, but close) that had an ATM - a Chase Manhattan branch in Queens, NY.

It could only be loaded with brand new bills since the early dispensers couldn't handle old, soft currency. It was also only opened during branch hours since it was inside the main lobby of a stately old building that was locked when the branch was closed.

I just checked Google street view. The bank is now a Duane Reade drugstore, the pub across the street where I used eat lunch is now a bakery and a news stand and the entire neighborhood is covered in signs with Oriental writing on them - not that there's anythng wrong with that.

Reply to
DerbyDad03