I've seen a few solutions on Google. One says put it in a microwave for
5-10 sec. I have my doubts. No one confirmed it. Another was to put it
in very hot water, apparently in about 3-4" or so, but nothing more was
Anyone got a tried and true method?
(I just tried 10 min in hot water w/o any luck. Probably a real goner.)
Are Sharpies water-based now? I thought they were like magic markers,
which you can sometimes bring back to life with an eyedropper full of
alcohol. (The real stuff, not the watered-down 'rubbing alcohol'.)
the problem is that the ink's solvent has dried up.
You can drill a hole in the far end,inject some solvent in there,give it a
short time to work,then the pen will write again.
The principle solvents are alcohols, but they also contain ethylene glycol
I have used alcohol with success. Someone suggested an eyedropper,
but I wouldn't put the whole thing in at once. A couple drops, then
cap the pen and store it point down, maybe tap the cap a few times
against a hard surface. If that doesn't do it, a few more drops.
I agree with the comment to buy a new one, but I have been in a
situation where I needed a marker right away, and this was the only
We used to dip the exposed tip in acetone (nail polish remover) for a
couple of minutes. If there's any ink left and the tip had just dried
out, that will usually get a bit more usage out of the marker.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.