Getting a Re-Roof

I am in the process of getting estimates to re-roof our 14 year old home. We live in the Southeastern US and have asphalt shingles, but they are severely worn out and starting to crack. My question is regarding ridge vents. None of the homes in our sub have them. I imagine that is one reason why the roof has failed prematurely. Can ridge vents be added when re-roofing, or must the whole thing be torn off first? Thanks for any advice you can give.
Venting takes a systems approach. Is there enough vent area at the eaves? Is the roof sheathing set up for a ridge vent?
I would pay attention to Bozrath's warning about the condition of the roof deck. Include in any contract, a unit cost for replacement. If it were my roof, I'd tear off what's up there now.
Also, look at Building Science Corporation web site.
TB Charleston SC
bugbear wrote:

....re: no ridge vent...

Certainly is, particularly in a warm climate...

I assume you're talkinga about adding the ridge vent but not doing a complete tearoff...if so, I'd strongly recommend against putting the new layer of the old, particularly if the existing layer is badly failed--it will just accelerate the aging of the new ones and the few bucks save aren't worth it, imo...
On 8/13/2005 10:19 AM US(ET), bugbear took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Ridge vents can be added at any time, including roofs that have been shingled recently or even years ago. You can do it yourself if you are not afraid of heights, have basic carpentry skills, and have access to tools like a chalk line, hammer, and circular saw. Here's a how-to: http://www.easy2.com/cm/easy/diy_ht_index.asp?page_id5693724
--
Bill

willshak wrote:

If you are in Florida make sure that the ridge vents that you choose are on the statewide Product Approval list. Otherwise you risk installing vents that aren't tested for wind-driven water intrusion.
Probably a good idea in any coastal location. TB

Can and should be done. 14 years is not a lot of roof time. Sounds like the builder used cheap as he could. Get a good architectural shingle this time around.

and hopefully your wood hasn't rotted.
Helped a guy last month (nice time of the year to do shingles!!!) and almost every board had to be replaced. More or less doubles the cost.
Any roofing company doing work nowadays will know there needs to be a ridge vent.....
"Dr. Hardcrab" wrote: ....

Knowing that and installing it aren't the same thing, however, unless homeowner asks...
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

What is an architectural shingle?
On 8/13/2005 1:04 PM US(ET), Norminn took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

They are not a flat shingle. They have a 3 dimensional look to them baing that some tabs are twice as thick as other tabs.
--
Bill

Years ago, all roof shingles were three tab design. they all look pretty much the same aside from color. Architectural shingles are more random looking. Some look like cedar shakes, some closer to a slate shingle. http://www.gaf.com/General/GafMain.asp?Silo=RES1&WS=GAF
Like anything else, the more you pay . . . . . .
The roofer can tell you whether ridge vents would work for your house. They are not appropriate for all roofs. If you can't have ridge vents, a power vent is the way to go.