getting a fridge compressor to fail?

Page 1 of 2
I am trying to find out if there is an effective way to get a GE fridge compressor to fail completely within a short period of time.
Last month I purchased a new GE refrigerator. Shortly after the delivery the compressor in the refrigerator started making loud chirping noises.
A GE service man investigated the fridge and stated that the noise was coming from the compressor and that it was within a "reasonable" range. I discussed his diagnosis with him and he did concur that the chirping noise emitting from the compressor is on the higher end of the "reasonable" range but repairing the compressor is a grey area under the terms of the warranty because technically the fridge is working properly and the compressor is not warrantied against chirping.
I am certain that the noise that this fridge produces is not within a "reasonable" range because I have never heard a domestic fridge run so loud. So I am looking for a way to make the compressor fail in order to resolve the problem via the warranty.
It's pathetic that customers must take these measures to get proper service for shabby manufacturing. Any advice is appreciated.
Sebastian wrote:

1. Obtain sledge, 15# preferred 2. Beat on compressor until in small pieces. 3. Go buy icebox. One that uses ice.
-- dadiOH _____________________________
Sebastian wrote:

Disable defrost timer. Tony

Find, and kill the bird..

Particularly since chirping isnt probably the right term...heard alot of strange noises from a compressor..but not that..

How about you contact a field rep for the company and have HIM listen to it?

Whats more pathetic is that you would consider fraud, when there are other methods you can get this resolved.
You could leave the door open, a few hours of that will burn out the compressor. I used to work on them a few years ago, It's a sure fire way to take it out and it sounds like it's going to happen in a year or two. Best it happen under warrenty.

This is Turtle.
Callthe toll free number inthe paper work of the refrigerator and tell them what the story is and the noise and it has been checked by a G/E service tech but the noise is not over the limit of his thinking but your limit was past a long time ago. See what they say.
TURTLE
who did you buy the fridge from? have you confronted them directly? did you pay with a credit card?
randy

Drill a BIG hole in it.
And if the New one chirps, then what. Call your credit card co and dispute the frige, Get on the phone ane E mail Customer servive. GE is big and will do what is right. Did you get the store out that sold it to you, try it may work also. Dont break it .
I had the same thing happen with my apartment refrigerator once. I call the apartment complex and they sent someone out who looked at it and made it stop. But a few days later it was doing the same thing so I called them back and talked to the service manager who got me a new one. I suspect that my old refrigerator was simply put in a different apartment though.
Sebastian wrote:

You mean you think it is pathetic that YOU are will to lie deceive and destroy a part, because you are not happy with a serviceman's opinion?
Wake up man, stop thinking like a jerk and consider a civilized honest approach. Contact the manufacturer and/or the retailer and explain your lack of satisfaction. If that does not work (keep records of all contacts) then contact your state's consumer protection office.
Also keep in mind that it is possible that you are overly sensitive. However I suspect the serviceman was running late and wanted to meet a buddy for lunch and if you follow the established procedures you will get the situation corrected.
--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
Once I got a new lennox AC in, it was 100 out after 7 days running 24 7 the fan started to sqeek, They oiled it again and said I was crazy but finaly replaced the motor as it was new. 12 years later the new one is still quiet. The old one had a Made in Mexico label on it. Its possible its bad, or something is loose or to tight. But dont break it. Do you think If you break it you will have a new one in 1 hr ? What if the new one does the same thing . Go the normal route , Or get a different make frige.
Any chance whoever you bought it from have the same model on display? If so, ask them if they will plug a floor unit for you. See if that one "chirps".
Sebastian wrote:

Sebastian wrote:

The sign on my office wall says:
THERE IS NO RIGHT WAY TO DO THE WRONG THING
It sure doesn't sound like you bothered even thinking about going further up the GE chain of command before deciding to expose your busted moral compass to all of us here.
Just my .02,
Jeff
--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Buy an extended warranty. It doesn't cost that much, and it's an honest way to deal with this problem.
Brigitte
Sell it and buy a new, more expensive brand.
Pj
On 8 Jul 2004 19:52:15 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Sebastian) wrote:

This is Turtle.
I just got to thinking about what you said Chirping sound like a bird. The only sound like this that I ever heard from these was the Evaperator fan motor in the freezer will Cherp when it is running out of oil. It will sound like a bird inside the box.
I don't think I have ever heard a compressor Cherp like a bird before. They will Click, Whine, or Knock but not Cherp like a bird.
TURTLE

If that doesn't ID the problem make a tape recording of the noise and a recording or another fridge of the same model. Send that along with your complaint.
I don't think that I would actually ever go through the route of destroying the compressor but I was just curious to find out if there is an effective way to get one to fail. I know that I will be successful in getting the thing either repaired or replaced by GE and as a last option I will have it returned.
I did enjoy your comments and am actually impressed that there are still are some ethical people out there.
My profession is in the field of engineering and I am quite understanding of tolerances (i.e. the amount of noise that one should be able to accept from a refrigerator compressor). This thing is definitely loud, beyond the point that anyone would find acceptable for a domestic appliance.
After several emails and phone calls, I did get two GE sources to confirm for me today that the manager of GE customer service would be contacting me within the next couple of days.
I had a tennant who didnt like his old frige or stove, I told him it works right, if it doesnt I will get a new one , well a week later he called said it was broke and it ruined 100 in food. So I went to look sure enough and strangely it was completely emply. Not likeing the smart ass he was or trusting him I turned it on its side, and sticking out was a shiney cut piece of copper tube , the unit old and copper blackened with age made it stupidly obvious. He got the boot, no frige , no security deposit, no cold food, later tennants told me the wife left him to.