Getting a bigger sump pump

Also a good idea. My only window is 40 feet away. The pipe that the sump pump uses is right nearby and I could join the hose to the pipe, but I'd need checkvalves and now we're more than half-way to installing the whole permanent second pump.

Here's the combination pump I referred to.

$370 plus 100 for the battery and probably more for battery box.. Looks easy to install.

And here's what I have now.

1/3 HP 2800 GPH at 5'; 2270 GPH at 10'; 1640 GPH at 15'

And the combo replacement has is

1/2HP (2820 GPH at 10') A/C sump pump and Watchdog special emergency back-up sump pump (1730 GPH at 10')

My head is 8-9 feet, but lets figure 10. 2270 GPH now to 2820 (a small increase) plus 1730 when the second pump kicks on.

OTOH, this looks easy to install too

$180 for 1/2 HP 3630 GPH (no lift but it's a lot more than the other AC pumps, and I could add
a battery operated pump "Pumps 1000 gal. per hr. at 10' lift" for $180, which is $10 less than the combination pump (and would cost the same amount extra for a battery and battery box). But I myself would have to figure out how to put them both in the sump, (which looks fairly easy since they both look so small) and I mysellf would have to install two check valves, a Y connnector, and a 45^ bend, which looks not that bad, although it will be harder to lower the combination into and pull it out of the sump, but that should be infrequent..

More pumping for the same money but somewhat more work on my part. When I'm in a good mood, I love work like this, but right now, I just want to go to sleep. OTOH, if everything gets wet, I'll want to sleep even more.

Do submerisible pumps last as long as above water pumps?

Reply to
micky

In most places it is against code to connect a sump pump to the sanitary sewer system

I suppose anything goes in an emergency but you probably don't want to do this as a rule.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

FTR sounds like a misunderstanding. I wasn't suggesting that. Nothing about the sanitary sewer in the previous post.

A neighbor did do that 10 or 20 years ago, but it's a particularly stupid idea here, because for four houses, and his was one of them,, sometimes the basement sink backs up, and that's no time to discharge the sump pump into the sink. But a later owner undid what he did. And the backing up has been solved too.

Reply to
micky