Getting 220V from a 400V line

My dryer needs 220V 16A. My wall sockets carry 220V 10A. There is a 400V 16A box also in the room. After opening the box I noticed only three wires: red, blue and black. Voltmeter shows they do carry 400V. How do I get 220V from this connection?

Usually there are five wires in other 400V 16A boxes in the house: two sets of blue and red and one black for ground. To get 220V I just use one blue and red + ground.

The breaker box has three 16A breakers for this 400V 16A box (I presume). What if I switch two breakers off? Would the 400V 16A have 220V 16A instead.

Reply to
John

What country is this in?

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'll echo that, if USA, you may need a new volt meter.

Reply to
Eric in North TX

Sweden.

Reply to
John

Best to ask a local electrical contractor....

Sounds to me like he/she could use the existing wires, which must be good for 16 amps by reconnecting things in your breaker panel to make that into a 220 volt 16 amp feed, then put the correct receptical into that box to suit your dryer's cord plug.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia