get rid of this plaster dust!!!

So the contractors who demo'd our bathroom in prep for major reconstruction didn't think it would be a good idea to segregate the work area w/ plastic over the door or anything like that. So they demolished the room, w/o a door on, leaving the whole first floor, and I mean literally every little thing that just happened to be on the first floor, covered with a thick layer of dust. I've been using a oil based floor clearner to mop the floors, and windex on the furniture and smaller things. After I mop things look great, but once everything dries off and settles it still has a lot of dust. Any tips on how exactly to tackle this problem? I suspect if we keep at it we'd eventually succeed, but maybe there are certain cleaners that are better suited for this kind of work .
thanks in advance
On 11/22/2004 8:45 AM US(ET), axis took fingers to keys, and typed the following:

Vacuuming first would be better if you had a vacuum cleaner that filtered out all that fine dust so it doesn't circulate back into the room. I have a whole house vacuum system that exhausts to the outside and after some work like you describe, I can see the dust below the exhaust outlet. Perhaps using those treated dust cloths or dust mops, rather than water, would be better?
| On 11/22/2004 8:45 AM US(ET), axis took fingers to keys, and typed the | following: | | >So the contractors who demo'd our bathroom in prep for major reconstruction | >didn't think it would be a good idea to segregate the work area w/ plastic | >over the door or anything like that. So they demolished the room, w/o a door | >on, leaving the whole first floor, and I mean literally every little thing | >that just happened to be on the first floor, covered with a thick layer of | >dust. I've been using a oil based floor clearner to mop the floors, and | >windex on the furniture and smaller things. After I mop things look great, | >but once everything dries off and settles it still has a lot of dust. Any | >tips on how exactly to tackle this problem? I suspect if we keep at it we'd | >eventually succeed, but maybe there are certain cleaners that are better | >suited for this kind of work . | > | >thanks in advance | > | Vacuuming first would be better if you had a vacuum cleaner that | filtered out all that fine dust so it doesn't circulate back into the | room. I have a whole house vacuum system that exhausts to the outside | and after some work like you describe, I can see the dust below the | exhaust outlet. | Perhaps using those treated dust cloths or dust mops, rather than water, | would be better?
Another reason to vacuum: those plaster particles are sharp, and everytime you rub them across a surface, like a tabletop, you're scratching (dulling) the finish. You can rent good vacs; even some have HEPA filters, but you have to pay for a whole filter, and hope one does the job. IMO, HEPA is NOT the thing to use with dust particles like that. Others disagree with me though.
Pop
pure lemon oil.......treat a rag and wipe......should not be soaking, just a little goes a long way. good luck
axis wrote:

axis wrote:

I would think your contractor should be posting about this, not you. Plaster dust can do some serious damage to house and health.
p.

reconstruction
door
we'd
As others have posted, vacuum first. I prefer a shop vac with a pleated filter. When mopping change your rinse water VERY frequently as in 3 or four times in a 16 x 20 area. I have also had great luck trapping airborne dust using a box fan with a 20x 20 pleated furnace filter taped over the intake side. Don't leave the fan running when you are not around. It might overheat if the filter clogs.
Colbyt