Get rid of fish smell

We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did not shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some fish in bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned up the water with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty bad. The freezer is on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full strength bleach or does anyone have a better solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not a drip tray so I know there is not any standing water.

How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag gag.........

Help me ....please!

Thanks

Reply to
Don

Fishy smell? Even the wife doesn't like it? Douche it.

Reply to
badgolferman

We had a mishap with our freezer in our basement. The freezer door did not shut one night and some of the items started to thaw out. I had some fish in bags filled with water and the water started melting. I cleaned up the water with bleach and water mixture but it still smells pretty bad. The freezer is on ceramic tile, not carpet. Should I try a full strength bleach or does anyone have a better solution? I checked under the freezer and there is not a drip tray so I know there is not any standing water. How bad does it smell? My wife said it smells like a bad period. gag gag gag......... Help me ....please! Thanks

You'll need to throw a couple of boxes of Baking Soda in both the Freezer, and in the Fridge sections, and give it time to work. Arm+Hammer does make a special box for the Fridge, but if you can't find them, just use the regular box, and cut the tops off. Within a few days, to a week, the smell should be entirely gone.

You may also make a cleaning sloution with the baking soda, and wipe down the interior to the best of your abilities. This should help. Mark D.

Reply to
Mark D

Vinegar will neutralize the fishy smell. Follow-up with a commercial disinfectant that contains quaternary ammonia (the active ingredient will be something unpronouncable that looks very much like "dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride".)

Best regards, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

That's too much info, thank you.

Vinegar, then vinegar, followed by some vinegar. Also can you remove some of the inside paneling? Smelly stuff could hide there...

Reply to
Carpenter

zxcvbob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Yup, set out some small bowls with vinegar in them. It'll absorb smells wafting in the air,too.

Reply to
Pasar

CITRISOLV was our previous deodorizing cleaner but now we use cherry-almond scented KIL-ODER

see grainger 3UR39 you'll want the gallon concentrate.

buffalobill

Try wiping it with vanilla. My folks used to do this to deodorize freezers that were used to store fish bait in. They found out from the guy that drove the milk truck.

MD

Reply to
MD

One day, God went to find Adam and Eve in the garden, but found that Adam was sitting by himself. "Where's Eve?" He asked.

"She went down to the river to wash up." replied Adam.

"Damn," said God, "Now I'll never get that smell out of the fish."

Reply to
wkearney99

A bad period, yes I had one of those in the late eighties - got better, though.

Make a paste of borax, and use a toothbrush to get into every joint. If you can get it, make a paste of 50-50 "gumption", and borax paste. You will not suffer from bad periods after this...

Reply to
glenn P