Gerber Toilets

Page 2 of 2
On 12/30/2014 10:23 PM, snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

I recently had a Gerber 1.6 Avalanche installed. It is quiet, quick to refill, has so far has not had any valve problems. I've never have had to flush twice to clear the bowl of solids, but it is rare not to leave "skid marks" that don't clean off with subsequent flushes. I need to use a toilet bowl brush for a few seconds almost every day to keep things tidy. Other 2 toilets are conventional 5 gallon models that flush cleanly except maybe once or twice/month. I don't mind the inconvenience but my wife refuses to be bothered and just uses one of the other two toilets. Haven't had any house guests yet :-) .

Two new ballcocks, or two new flappers. When I see fluidmaster, I think of the ballcock, the 10" plastic valve, and not the flapper.
Two consecutive new FMs valves in the one bad toilet? Or two consecutive new flappers in the one bad toilet? I'm not clear what he did.

What will happen if it doesn't shut off? You'll waste water. That's bad, but not that bad.

I just went to Toyota and they told me both my inner universal joint boots were torn or leaking. They wanted $400 each to replace them. $800. One only had 85 miles on it and I looked at the other. I squeezed it all over and it was good as new. (The car has 85K, but maybe the previous owner replaced it. I don't know how long they normally last. But it was perfect.)
Kohler is fine. He wants to sell you toilets.

Gerber toilets only come in the 12" high model, for toilet training. That's what I was told, anyhow.

I presume he changed the flappers too??
I have what I presume are commonplace Elger toilets.
After buying 1000 Flushes and ruining all three flappers, I had no trouble buying replacments Maybe the fist one I bought didn't fit, but the next one did. I kept the model number and bought the same kind later. But then my hardware store was driven out of business, I assume, by the big boxes, and I couldn't find the model I wanted.
Finally found it at a wholesale style store, so I bought two boxes of 12, to last me my whole life. (I hope they don't get old in the box) The first one worked great. The second on in the identical toilet kept running, and I would have to keep the cover off the tank and use a stick or the brush end of a toilet bowl brush to push it down a little With the brush, I couldn't tell that it was moving, but I could soon tell that the water level was rising or the the flow was ending (I forget which.) It took close to 3 months With the next flapper that I needed, it worked just fine from the start. Since I had more than 20 left, I suppose I should have just changed the leaking one, but I'm glad I satisfied my curiosity.
So maybe the leaking flapper was malformed, or stored so that it became malformed. Or maybe he used a different model and it doesn't fit your toilet. They seem to sell few models these days, just one per brand, but they used to sell maybe 10 models Of course your toilets are new and should fit was is sold. Maybe he screwed up on purpose so he could sell you a toilet. Or maybe he didnt' notice it was malformed.
Did he replace the valve, or the flapper?
On Tue, 30 Dec 2014 19:23:58 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@my-deja.com wrote:

That sounds likely. If so, when the water is running too long, taking the tank lid off and pushing the flush handle down slowly, Kate should feel the excess chain pulling out from under the flapper. She should see it too, at least the second time. But just push the handle down until the resistance lessens and then the flapper should fall in place and the water level should start to rise. Or if it is already high, should soon stop running.

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

+1 Gerbers are ok.
--
Tekkie