Gerard metal roof???

Had a guy come by and give me a quote for a fancy metal roof by Gerard. I drove by 5 of the completed roof addresses he gave me and they do look great, but they are very pricey. About twice my last roof.
He says lifetime warranty, parts & labor, not pro-rated or 50 years from date of install if I sell they house. Save on replacement, insurance, energy, no fire, pays for itself, blah, blah, blah.....
Is it for real and a good deal? I've never seen a metal roof except on businesses.
Anyone have one that's a few years old? Look good?

Very common in some parts of the country. Properly installed, they do last for a very long time.
snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

I'm not familiar with Gerard in particular, but I'm a big fan of metal roofs. You will notice in areas like rural PA where high winds are common roofs tend to be seamed steel more often than not. These are not affluent areas but the homeowners there seem to have made the decision that the cost/benefit analysis works out in favor of metal over asphalt shingle.
nate
--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel

You'll also see them in very high-end expensive houses in ski communities.

kinda hook together or overlap. They lay some 1x4's on the old roof and build on top of that. It's fireproof, but that isn't a big deal around my house.
Don't know about PA winters but it hets really nasty and cold here about 2 months after Christmas. Winds are a problem too!
Here's my real concern: If they really have that good of warranty it's a great price (relatively) but I wonder if it's real and if the 3" air space will save the 30 to 40% they claim. After a hail strom peppered my siding, I found out what sort of warranty they really have. Starts at 100% and goes down to 5% almost overnight.
A few years back when I was single, I bought a BMW. It's now approaching 250K with less than $300 engine work in more than 10 years. If it lasts longer, it may be worth it, but I'm a sleptic, tight-wad at first.
Thanks for the input

Damage from hail would more likely be an insurance issue (if covered by anything) rather than something covered under a warrantee.
PirateBird wrote:

There is a house about three blocks down that has a metal roof. Been there at least 30 years (was there in 1978 when I moved into the neighborhood.) A blue color with what I think are "standing seams". Still looks great. No idea if its the brand you have been offered.
alt.home.repair:

Check with your insurance company about coverage before you make up your mind. I've Been Told that here in Texas you're only covered for one hail storm. Back in the Eighties, I got two new roofs in three years after grapefruit-sized hail.
--
Steve B.
New Life Home Improvement
Steve wrote:
SNIP HAPPENS

Humor mode on:
Presumably the ins cos which only cover 1 hail damaged roof give a huge premium discount after 1 hail claim, as they hereafter are not insuing against that particular risk / peril.
Yeah, right.
Humor mode off.
Up here in northern Wisconsin these roofs are very common. I've been thinking about going to one myself when the current roof needs replaced. Here are the pros and cons that I've heard from others:
Pro: Very easy to install. You should be able to really save on labor because you can just roll the metal right over the shingles. Good environmentally because you aren't producing and then pitching shingles every 20 years or so. Also, you can recycle the metal if you do have to remove it. Looks nice, lasts a long time. Snow slides right off of it, so no shoveling the roof (also a con though, because you lose the insulative value of the snow). Sound of the rain on the roof (this could be a con if you don't like that.
Con: If you have skylights or other protrusions (chimneys even), it is very important to get the roof done right the first time around those objest. Much harder to do a patch job than it is with shingles. Likewise, if you want to add skylights or something later, much harder to do properly. Cost--though I haven't heard of it being as expensive as what you were quoted. Not familiar with that brand.
If I end up going with a metal roof, I will probably first do much research on what type of metal to use. For example, I might build a cistern at some point, and I've read that you don't want recycled steel as the roof because of some contaminats that would get in the water. I've also heard that some people used copper (those people must have a lot more money than me) and then had their roof stolen by salvagers when on vacation. (Probably just urban legend, but the point is think about what kind of metal you are getting for you money).
Good luck!
Hope some of this is helpful.
replying to PirateBird, Carol Marti wrote:

I can't say enough about this Gerard roof. We've lived here for 30 yrs; the original owners for 5 yrs which, totalling, is the age of the house. Very strong, beautiful roof. And rare!! A couple trees fell onto the house during the ice storm & all was ok.
We added a veranda & a couple other things where they had to match up the roofing & no problem, no old faded old ones, a perfect match. Must be careful, though, (e.g. if you're having your chimney cleaned or whatever), that the servicemen step in the valleys so as not to dent them. Just so they all look uniform. We feel privileged to have such a roof!!
Carol Marti wrote:

Ditto here. I have it installed when neighbor had his done with concrete tile. He had some problems and roofer was back few times. My ceramic coated metal tile is looking good and no problem at all. Cost almost 3 times than asphalt shingles. Installing is more labor intensive. Took 2 weeks for experienced 2 man crew who came from Ukraine.