Genset voltage reg: capacitor vs. AVR

Page 4 of 4

As far as I know, every non-inverter generator works this way. How else would you get a stable output voltage with varying loads? It's not like field coil regulation is terribly expensive; it's not a whole lot of current in there.

I never took power lab in school myself and I feel like I missed a big opportunity. --scott

How to regulate a permanent-magnet generator: http://www.google.com/patents/US4766362 http://www.freepatentsonline.com/5625276.html (couldn't open) http://www.google.com/patents?id E9AAAAEBAJ&pg=PA2&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=4#v=onepage&q&flse US 4,885,493 jsw

This is very cool and quite ingenious but also not relevant to the discussion at hand. --scott

On Mon, 18 Feb 2013 11:18:45 -0500, Scott Dorsey wrote:

With field coil regulation you should be able to keep the genset voltage dead nuts on target, with deviations only when the load changes suddenly.
One wonders in what decade the technology stalled if they're allowing the crappy regulation that EA quotes.
--
Tim Wescott

lse

ike

I don't know, but the generator head is made by Meccalte, an Italian manufacturer of real electric gear. You would think on a generator that costs $2800 you'd get electronic voltage regulation. But they apparently use a cap.