Genset RPMs

Are medium sized generators (say in the 5-15kw range) made only to spin at 3600rpm or are they also available in 4 pole units spinning at 1800rpm and 6 pole units at 1200 rpm?
The slower units are probably going to run much quieter, and wear better.
Rich Greenberg wrote:

Yeah,quieter, but it requires a bigger physical size engine to produce the same HP at lower RPMs. That's why they run them as fast as possible. Jim
3600 rpm gaseous and diesel which are you standard home-construction gens last 300-5000 hrs. A 300hr gen is likely 300$ at HD, 5000 hr a honda.
1800pm gaseous and diesel are available and last 10-20000 hrs
900 rpm diesel are available in probably 2kw and up and last up to 110000 hrs.
For people who know try alt.energy.homepower

Yes, at a higher cost. A 7K generator may need a 11 HP engine at 3600 RPM. Beings most engines are rated at 3600 RPM and run perhaps 1/2 that HP at 1800, you will need a engine that is rated for 22 HP @ 3600 RPM to run that generator at 1800 RPM. Also four pole gennys are rarer so that adds to the cost. Greg

Thanks Greg and several others for the clarifications.