Genie Pro 88 won't close

I have a old Genie Pro 88 garage door opener. The door opens fine but when I try to close it is moves a few inches and then auto reverses. I tried adjusting the auto sesitivity screw at the back of the opener but that didn't help. WHat should I be aiming fro when I turn this acrew? Should I turn it until the door reaches a certain position? What is that position? Or is there something else I need to adjust. Pls help.
-------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 334350 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖

Does it have an "electric eye?" If yes, there's probably a problem there with blockage or alignment.
Add pictures here
✖
On 11 Jan 2009 15:35:13 GMT, bhatiap_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (bhatiap) wrote:

The opener is designed to shut down and reverse if it feels the motor is working too hard to move the door. One reason it might work too hard is if the door hits something or someone. The adjustment you talk about simply sets how sensitive this feature is. All the way in one direction will make it act exactly like you are seeing. All the way the other way should make it plow through almost anything. Try that as a diagnostic, but don't leave it like that as it should stop and reverse if it hits something. Possible reasons it might have changed are need of lubrication or a binding door. The safety feature has no way of knowing *why* the motor is working harder than usual.
Add pictures here
✖
On Jan 11, 7:35 am, bhatiap_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (bhatiap) wrote:

Do you have the "electric eye" safety system? If so........press & hold the wall switch. If the door closes completely, the electric eye system has a problem. Dirty lens, bad connection, poor alignment, etc
cheers Bob
Add pictures here
✖
On 11 Jan 2009 15:35:13 GMT, bhatiap_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (bhatiap) wrote:

head, and limit switches on the track. If so, you want the downforce adjustment st to MAX.
Add pictures here
✖
bhatiap had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Re-Genie-Pro-88-won-t-close-353086-.htm : Thank you all for the replies. My garage door opener doesn't have any eye to detect any obstruction. I tried adjusting the screw at the back and I can now get the door to close when the door is only about 2/3rds open (open just enough to let my Toyota Camry go through). If I open it all the way then it doesn't close. It seems that it can't get over the bend. Will try to lubricate and see if it helps. I can see grease on the sping in the center but do I also need to apply some sort of grease/oil on the track where the door wheels sit?
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 334454 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
Add pictures here
✖
On 12 Jan 2009 00:58:48 GMT, bhatiap_at_gmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (bhatiap) wrote:

door by hand to see if it feels right.
Add pictures here
✖

First disconnect the door from the opener by pulling the emergency rope, then move the door manually through its entire range. It should be balanced well enough that you can move it all the way up and down with only a few fingers.
If it doesn't move easily, it needs to be rebalanced. If your door is balanced, it's unusual. Most doors are _way_ off. They start off balanced, but nobody has the door guy come out every year for a tune-up. The opener works harder and harder as time goes on, until the load is just too big to handle. That's when your problem appears.
You can find web sites that will walk you through the tuning process. Most of it is pretty straightforward, like getting the tracks straight and oiling the rollers, but the springs can be a bear. They can take off your head if they let go at just the right time. I've had them make holes in walls--nasty ones. (I don't mess with springs any more.)
As for oiling, get a spray can of lubricant that's designed for garage doors. You put it only on the rollers and other moving parts, not the track.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement