Genie garage remote and how to unlock door

I have a new place and no instructions for the Genie garage door opener. Here's my problem. If the power goes out, I have no entrance to my garage and can't get my car out. There is a small round lock right now on the door and it connects to a cable that will pull Red cord and disable the door from the unit.

However, I can't figure out how this works. I can turn the key about

180 degrees and then it stops rotating. My assumption is that I would have to turn the key round and round until the cable pulls the cord. Is that right? If that is the case, is there a special way to turn the key, pushing it in or pulling it out or something?

TIA

Reply to
Znott

Turn the key to unlock it, then pull it (the key & cylinder) straight out. The cable will come out the hole.

MikeB

Reply to
bq340

Once you are locked out your home wont let you in., sleep outside!

Reply to
ransley

OR, go through the door from inside the house and pull the rope.

S. Barker

Hi, What you described sounds like a manual door lock. You can lock/unlock the door with the key. If you use an electric door opener, you usually leave that unlocked. Imagine you try to open the door when it is locked. It can cause a big damage. I have side and back entry doors for my garage. If power fails, you can easily lift the door if you are inside by unlatching the door from drive chain(or screw, belt, etc.). But if you are outside, you are out of luck. I guess you have to enter the garage through house. Also one tip to prolong the life of door springs. Rub them with oil(something like 10W/30) soaked rag lightly to lessen the chance of spring breakage.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Never heard of that type of set-up before. Sounds interesting, except for the need to carry around (or hide) a key for the very, very rare cases where I would need to open the opener-controlled door from the outside during a power failure. I assume this is only required for a garage where the only way in is through the opener-controlled door. Otherwise, why wouldn't I use another entrance and pull the cable from the inside?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

They're an optional add on for vault type garages and storage units that have no other entry point.

There's no use for them on standard home garages where's there's another door into the garage.