Genie garage opener problem: opens by itself

My 5 year old ggenie garage door opener started misbehaving in the past month or so. It will open by itself. Once it's open, I can't close it with the remote, or the wall button. I have removed the batteries in the remote controls in my cars and outside. I have even disconnected the wall control. But as long as the power if plugged in, it will open by itself.

It doesn't happen immediately. If I leave it plugged in, with a few hours it will open.

Any suggestion other than replacing the main unit?

Thanks.

Reply to
dmkAlex

Go through the troubleshooting section in the user manual. If you don't have manual then download from the Genie web site. Then call Genie Co technical support and explain. They will ask you to go though troubleshooting procedures.... Then you can say I already did that.

I had a similar problem. My door would open with button or remote then not close. Genie sent me a main circuit board for free after I went through all the troubleshooting stuff. If you can't get a warranty fix then I would get a new opener.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Ricks

The tension or set point could be set to high, back it off on the main ceiling unit, mine was set that way. Remotes also stick to an on position.

Reply to
ransley

Exorcist...

Reply to
J.H. Holliday

Suggest you unplug the Genie and remove (temporarily) the wires which are presently connecting the Genie unit to the wall button. Then plug the Genie back in and see if it it operates all by itself with no wires connected. You may have a short in your button wiring, a defective button, or poorly connected wires at the Genie, and all 3 of these possibilities will be eliminated by disconnecting the wires.

If the door still operates randomly with the button wiring disconnected, then the unit itself needs service, most likely a defective logic board, and should be serviced by a qualified Genie technician. If the problem disappears, trace the wiring to the button to see where the fault lies. You may have a staple which is occasionally shorting the wires, a bad connection, a broken button, etc.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

.

change code, perhaps a neighbor has the same code.

my brother in law has X10 and couldnt understand why his lights turned on every nite at 5 pm, till i explained a neighbor likely had the same code.

we changed code, no more troubles

also look for button wires contacting other things.

as a child i fixed our doorbell that rang at random times.

I noticed it rang wjhen the hot water tank turned on.

doorbell wires crossed gas pipe hanger. tank turning on caused doorbell to ring, at all times of day and nite:(

boy was i excited fixing it:)

Reply to
hallerb

Do you remember how those wires shorted on the heater rang the door bell? Sounds like a good way to rig up a bell to tell when the heater turns on and how long it runs. Maybe we can do the same on the heat supply and well pump:-)

Reply to
willshak

But that wouldn't explain why the door won't close afterwards.

Reply to
Harlan Messinger

Smarty That sounds like a good idea. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

change code, perhaps a neighbor has the same code.

my brother in law has X10 and couldnt understand why his lights turned on every nite at 5 pm, till i explained a neighbor likely had the same code.

we changed code, no more troubles

also look for button wires contacting other things.

as a child i fixed our doorbell that rang at random times.

I noticed it rang wjhen the hot water tank turned on.

doorbell wires crossed gas pipe hanger. tank turning on caused doorbell to ring, at all times of day and nite:(

boy was i excited fixing it:)

Another good possibility

Let us know what you come up with. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Although might point towards the logic board, because he says once it goes up, he cant close it with the button or the remote. Again, let us know what you find. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

Thanks Tony. Hopefully it will isolate the problem.

Reply to
Smarty

Called Genie. They pin pointed that it was a circuit board problem Unit out of warranty, so $65 for a replacement. That's still cheaper than $200 for a new unit.

Thanks.

Reply to
dmkAlex

Glad to help.

Reply to
Smarty

I'll bet they've seen it before. Well $65.00 is not too bad. Thanks for the follow up. Tony

Reply to
Anthony Diodati

It's a Genie......it's magic.

Reply to