Genie Garage Door Opener Model GG-1810 Trac Drive

When I tried to open the garage door, it started and stopped after traveling less than a foot. The limit switches were both connected correctly. I tried to move the trac using an open end wrench and it will not move beyond the point where the drive locks. Has anyone seen this problem before and is it worth fixing? The door opener is approximately 25 years old.

Thanks in advance,

Ron Munroe Falls, Ohio

Reply to
Ron Bruno

I used to have a genie which was the screw type, which I presume is what you have. What a piece of junk!! In the winter time the screw would contract and make all kinds of racket and periodically would hang up. If I were you I would junk it and not fool around with it. A new opener doesn't cost all that much. Sears always has them on sale.

Reply to
Dave

First steep is to disconnect the opener and try moving the door manually. It should move easily and smoothly from top to bottom and stay open or closed.

I don't have my manual handy and it may be a different model, but it may have a trouble shooting section.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

And I have had 4 of them (two different homes with two car garages) and not once have I had any problems with them. That's about 60 years of experience.

I would say you had a bad install.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan