Genie garage door lubrication ?

I hae a noisy Genie operated garage door mechanism. It has a screw type drive shaft rather than a chain.
What should I use to lubricate the long 'screw" and is there anywhere else I should be lubricating ?
Thanks, Tim

I have the same piece of junk.
There's a special lube from Genie for the task available at Lowe's, but it's probably some standard grease.
...Jim Thompson
--
| James E.Thompson, P.E. | mens |
| Analog Innovations, Inc. | et |

It looks like Lubriplate Aero is the recommended grease. It has a lithium base. Some places sell Lubriplate Lo-Temp as an alternative.
--Steve
Steve Hamm wrote:

I just use Teflon based lubricant out of spray can. Once a year. 9 years old and still haven't got any problem. Tony
I have one, too, I'm satisfied with it, and I give it regular lithium grease at the same time I give my waterbed its conditioner. Christmas and Fourth of July.

trinaz wrote:

screw drive and take it to the back yard and spray it with some Brake Cleaner to get the old grease removed..... got it clean down to bare metal as the old grease with dust/dirt on it was like putty and when it was cold the garage door opener would not work too good.. would always hang up and not open all the way or not close all the way... fixed it by removing all the old grease.. i quick fix was to use WD-40 to thin the old grease off.. WD-40 is really a solvent and will also remove old grease.....
First thing that came to my mind was white lithium grease in a spraycan. You're right, though, to take the screw drive out and clean it. Brake cleaner is good choice. WD-40 doesn't last very long as a lubricant, and likely isn't clingy enough to be the only lubricant on a screw drive.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn More about Jesus