Genie Excelerator

I installed a Genie Excelerator opener about 5 years ago. It has worked well up until last night's nearby lightning strike. We lost a variety of electronic things. The opener still works except for the safety sensor system. The sending side is not lit and the opener acts as one would expect - It opens just fine, but you must hold the button to close it. Is there a common part that fails in these situations? I can order a new board or a new set of safety sensors, but I thought one of you might have a hint as to which one is more likely to have failed. The voltage across the two terminals is only a few millivolts. That points to the board, but I suppose one of the sensors could have shorted. I think I'll go disconnect the sensors and see what the voltage does. In the mean time, any input is appreciated. ...Pat
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:06:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote:

Update to the above post... With the sensors (safe-t-beam) disconnected, there is still no voltage at the terminals where the sensors connect. I also noticed there is a green led flashing 5 times. The manual says that means a safe-t-beam fault. Anyone know how to get to the circuit board? It looks like the whole thing must be disassembled. I can see the board through vent cracks in the base plate, but actually getting to it to inspect or change parts looks to be very difficult unless there is a secret one of you knows;-) ...Pat
Add pictures here
✖
On Jun 2, 6:06 pm, snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote:

Call your insurance carrier. Check every electronic device in the house first before filing the claim. Clock radios, microwaves, laundry appliance controls, HVAC systems operation, etc. All should be 100% covered by insurance. Lightning is noted for doing weird things, so expect surprises that defy logic. Limit your diagnosis and repair to those things crucial to keeping the palazzo functional until the insurance company repair contractors arrive. Good luck.
Joe
Add pictures here
✖
Joe wrote:

'insurance company repair contractors'? Hell, I can barely get mine to give me a check, much less perform concierge service for me.
-- aem sends...
Add pictures here
✖

*I can't help you with your garage door opener, but you should know that a common cause of lightning related incidences is due to a problem with the grounding system of your home. Your electrical service should have a single conductor connected to your water service pipe and also to at least one ground rod. If you don't have any idea what I am talking about have a qualified electrician come in for an inspection of your grounding electrodes and grounding electrode conductor. Your telephone service, cable TV service and/or dish should also be grounded.
I have seen it before where the garage door opener gets fried from lightning and I surmise that the lightning likes the concrete floor in the garage since it is a very good ground and travels the rails to get there.
Add pictures here
✖
From what I can figure, it's a washing machine he's working on.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:06:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote:
    I'm with the other Joe on this one. This should be covered by your home owner's insurance. You paid for the coverage, now is the time to use it. Let the pros worry about the problem, you have already paid for it.
Add pictures here
✖
Is this a washing machine? Sears often has exploded parts diagram. You can see the machine with the transmission, agiator, lid switches and so on.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

1. Quit top-posting. 2. ??? He is clearly talking about a garage door opener.
-- aem sens....
Add pictures here
✖
On Tue, 02 Jun 2009 19:06:46 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@neo.rr.com wrote: